Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This chunk of Aspen is ready for carving. I've had it for about 20 years thinking it would become something other than a sling shot. Aspen is a semi-hardwood with a Janka Hardness of 420. I was able to dent the first layer under the bark with my thumbnail, it cannot dent it towards the center.
I'd like to trade it for a Natty that is finished and ready for banding. If you think it feels better in your RH than your LH then that is a bonus. If it feels great in both then I maybe I will use it to teach myself to shoot LH as well?
Watcha got??. Go ahead and post a public photo of what you have to trade. If it doesn't rock my world then it might for somebody else! If I dig it then we can trade addresses via PM. Cheers, Mo
e62728fcc662dae2008b29e146359bf3.jpg
d4401a5edb92bba90540b6ac31ed4d80.jpg
598a32a96d53599322b0e12ce65c0e00.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
MO

Aspen isn't a very good choice. Take that rascal out side and smack it with a rock. I'm betting it will split. another option would be, carve it to suit yourself then send it to me and I could stabilize it for you. Good luck ol' Kid..

·
Mojave Mo
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MO
Aspen isn't a very good choice. Take that rascal out side and smack it with a rock. I'm betting it will split. another option would be, carve it to suit yourself then send it to me and I could stabilize it for you. Good luck ol' Kid..
Oh Crikey! Not a chance. I will not be part of standing on the wrong side a shatt sling whether we stabilize it or not!! I am surrounded by Red Oak out here. Geez. To think I thought I was doing somebody a solid?? I owe you one SJAaz.

·
Mojave Mo
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Gang!! Rookie move. This Aspen is going to the burn pile. I need to check with my elders before I start tossing potentially lousy material on the forum?!. Cheers, Moses

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Sorry Gang!! Rookie move. This Aspen is going to the burn pile. I need to check with my elders before I start tossing potentially lousy material on the forum?!. Cheers, Moses

Mo, use it as a practice piece. Start carving on it and make a few mistakes on one you know isn't destined to be a keeper. Chances are it will look pretty good, so throw it up on the wall in your shop, man cave, etc.

·
Mojave Mo
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fella u need to look for a Tight grain wood . Nice close rings than u will have a good craving piece that end gain is really spaced out looking
Yikes PB! Tight is right!! Funny, that reminds of a joke:
Do you know what a Walrus and Tupperware have in common?
They both like a tight seal!!

·
Mojave Mo
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol old mechanic joke Mo . I just heard it a little different
Oh that is even funnier. I was a SCUBA instructor for the first 1/3 of my adult life.... always thought it was a diver joke!!

·
Amateur
2,566 Posts
Ah yes, heard that one before mo! I SCUBA dive as well. I don't get much time for open water trips these days but I am a part of the volunteer dive team at my local aquarium. Keeps my dive skills up and it's a lot of fun interacting with guests from underwater!

·
Mojave Mo
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah yes, heard that one before mo! I SCUBA dive as well. I don't get much time for open water trips these days but I am a part of the volunteer dive team at my local aquarium. Keeps my dive skills up and it's a lot of fun interacting with guests from underwater!
Very cool!!! So they make you dress up like a Merman??

·
Amateur
2,566 Posts
Nah, but we do wear costumes underwater for certain holidays. I did a couple dives in a Santa costume last year and we usually do star wars themed dives for May the 4th, complete with underwater lightsabre fights!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts