Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Neophyte
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I finally got around to setting up that scroll saw I bought so long ago. I am learning pretty quickly at least I think I am lol. The reason for this post is I am asking for your best tip to get the most out of my saw? Do you have a tip to share or a link to some resource on line that has good information? I would greatly appreciate it if you could take the time to share it here. This will, I think, be useful to future slingers and current slinger alike and of course me :)

·
Science is magic that works
1,010 Posts
Hi, here is a problem I recently had. The last G10 slingshot I made produced a lot of dust which is everywhere! Any one have any tips for cleaning? I am afraid I may have to take apart every thing in there before I make any thing else. This a a small pic of what I am dealing with, without the dust. I did get the majority of it but is still everywhere.I am going to install an industrial collection system for the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
quick question for everyone? what would be better to start out with ? a ban saw or a scroll saw?

Thanks Everyone,

Steve
Depends on the intended as with most things. If just making slingshot frames a decent scroll saw should work well and give you the advantage of cutting enclosed patterns like the inside of an oval which you can't do with a bandsaw. The quality of the scroll saw is more of an issue as lots of them are real crap. I prefer a bandsaw and used one for years making corbels and and fixtures for fireplace mantels that were too big for a scroll saw , however lack of room made me pass it on.

I always seemed to be running into instances where a bandsaw would be just the ticket so I recently picked an inexpensive table top model. Bigger saws break 1/8" blades in a hurry if you can find them but these little guys allow you to cut some real fine stuff with those thin blades and they last pretty well and with a bigger motor can still handle some thicker material well.

BTW , will a scroll saw that uses blades without the fixed/pinned ends be able to use sections of broken bandsaw blades as an alternative?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hi, here is a problem I recently had. The last G10 slingshot I made produced a lot of dust which is everywhere! Any one have any tips for cleaning? I am afraid I may have to take apart every thing in there before I make any thing else. This a a small pic of what I am dealing with, without the dust. I did get the majority of it but is still everywhere.I am going to install an industrial collection system for the future.
I would definitely tape the end of my shopvac near the table and run it concurrently , especially with G10

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.