Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
... so I was out early this morning shooting with an awesome slingshot sent to me by Gib. I was using 3/8 steel and marbles. Between me and a junk yard is a 10-foot stockade fence. (For our brothers overseas, that's a cedar fence made of pickets layed right up against one another so there is no room between, like the fences in the old Western movies. They are half-round pickets about 3/4-inch thick.)
Anyway, after a great practice session with Gib's small frame armed with single Thera, I decided to shoot a few rounds out of one of my powerful hunters. I chose my ash gypsy rig with a heavy set of chained elastics. I have some plastic bottles hanging from the bushes about 18 - 20 yards away, at which I shoot when I'm tired of the tin cans in my target box. I don't usually shoot marbles out of my power bands, but I'm running low on steel at the moment.
After I was done, I went to my target box to retrieve the marbles in an around it. That's when some guy comes up to where the stockade fence ends and yells to me, "Excuse me!" he says.
"Yeah?" I answer.
"I know you aren't trying to shoot through the fence, but a marble came through it and hit me on the back a while ago," he complained. I could hear the ire in his voice. So I says, "Did it hurt?" I know this wasn't really the right thing to say, but, inside, my reaction was something like, "Awesome power -- with marbles too!!!"
The guy looked at me like I was a three-headed goat and just repeated himself, "A marble came through the fence and hit me in the back!" a little louder this time.
"Sorry," I answered. Some people have no sense of humor.
On close inspection, I found where the marble had knocked out a knot that was right on the edge of one of the fence's pickets and no doubt followed it through. And amazingly there was another marble embedded halfway into the middle of another picket. Cool!

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Now this is a great short story. Actually I find marbles to be more hard hitting than say 3/8 steel. I compared a marble and a 3/8 steel hitting a barbasol can at 33 feet and the marble has a more profound effect than the steel. I would say marbles seem to be much faster than steel.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I suppose calling him a sissy would not have help the situation
. Sounds like he was pretty mad. Sometimes they go where you don't expect, I accidentally shot my snowblower and ladder last week, not with the same ball. Good thing my wife was not home, she would have heard that ladder hit for sure. WHANG! nothing like hitting aluminum with a steel ball.

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
Great story and excellent real-world description of the power you can derive from the humble catapult. I wish I could have been there as a quite-interested spectator.

If you don't mind, might I offer a tip? If you would put away the glass, shoot lead, and go for head shots you wouldn't have the whiny neighbor problem. If your elastics are strong enough to knock out knots and then hit someone then they should be plenty strong enough to handle business.

Finally, if I could choose between the very rare marble plopping into my yard and the loud, obscene garbage peddled as music these days, I'd happily pick the marble. Then I'd have silence and another round of ammunition!

Good going DH.

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no sympathy for anyone over in that junk yard. They moved in there about 5 years ago and wrecked my property value. Make so much noise with their front-end loaders banging and dumping into empty steel containers. And the swearing and awful language all the time when we have company over. . .
I have threatened to my wife to get some cherry bombs and lob 'em over the fence with a slingshot whenever they get real noisy -- so noisy that you can't hear the TV with the windows open in summer! Which scares the sh*t out of her, cuz she thinks I'm actually crazy enough to do such a thing.
But, yeah. I wouldn't mind going for a few head shots with some lead.
(Just got so angry writing this I need a drink now!)

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
And you will wonder why? Slingshots have been banned to own in yet another town! – Tex-Shooter

·
Registered
50 Posts
thats was you that hit me in the back jkjk im kidding but thats awesome im surprised the marbles didnt crack

·
Registered
551 Posts
It was totally an accident. I take his words and an attempt to make you aware that the fence is not stopping the ammo and that if you make him feel safe, you can shoot all you want.

i'd say, it if was me, that im sorry and i'll put up a moving blanket to stop any from going through.

Thus, you've listened to his complaint and responded to it, and hopefully by empathizing you'll make an ally.

From the airgun forum, i've seen many people make converts by asking them to shoot with you.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
But they not banned in all states yet and if properly promoted you might get the ban lifted there. -- Tex-Shooter

·
Registered
606 Posts
Funny story Bill, that gave me a real chuckle
I always clear the Parish Church gardens of junkies and the homeless

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tex, I think I'm a lot more hostile to my environment when it comes to people than you are. Maybe in 8 more years (our age difference) I'll mellow a little, but, alas, as it's going I think I'm getting more bitter.

·
"500+fps Speed demon"
668 Posts
I suppose calling him a sissy would not have help the situation
. Sounds like he was pretty mad. Sometimes they go where you don't expect, I accidentally shot my snowblower and ladder last week, not with the same ball. Good thing my wife was not home, she would have heard that ladder hit for sure. WHANG! nothing like hitting aluminum with a steel ball.
I hit my ladder last week also
16mm steel ball, it completely bent one of the steps and the ball was lodged in the bend! And to top it off my girlfriend put a .45 lead ball through the washing machine door!! Fun times

Dayhiker you are a very funny man, you share my sense of humour

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.