Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our older great niece (4 years 10 months) coached her sister (2 years and 6 month old) on how to talk to Santa???? We heard Santa say to the younger niece, that her list sounds just like her big sisters. The older sister tells Santa they are the same, that’s so they can play together and each have their own toys❤ The girls spent today selecting toys they will donate to the less fortunate children❤ The rumor is that the girls have way too many things, because certain people buy them a lot of things all year long???? I have no idea who they are talking about????

·
Banned
193 Posts
Oh let me count the number of lies we tell our children all the while telling them not to lie....wait, the lies are too numerous to count aren't they?

Santa Clause, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and the list goes on. Then when they get to that certain big boy or big girl age we admit to them that it is all a big lie. In the meantime we've told them about God and all the Bible stories and the logical conclusion is that they've been lied to here also. Hard for parents to have any credibility when children learn that their parents and other important adults in their lives are such big liars.

I know, lighten up it is all in fun and that makes it okay to lie to our children....coming from a Dad who more than once put on the Red and White Santa Clause costume. That was before it hit me that telling lies to children might not be the best way to teach them about telling the Truth as a way of life.

Now that I've thrown a big bucket of cold water on the Christmas fire, have at it and go ahead and tell me it is just fine and acceptable to lie to children.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
We managed to keep the belief of Santa and the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy going till my daughter was 12 (hard work). When she fessed up she had just worked out that it was a lie she wasn't all that upset. Think she enjoyed the experiences the lies created than the lie itself - think those memories may actually be more important later on in life than we think.

·
Banned
193 Posts
That lump of coal can be used to heat the house during the cold winter months so bring it on. Actually, I also used to enjoy using coal in my horseshoeing forge. So, you can send me a whole big bag of coal and it won't hurt my feelings in the least.

·
Neophyte
2,122 Posts
I like the way my parents handled this sort of thing. I was told that anyone who did good to others and was kind was "Santa"or the Easter Bunny or even the tooth fairy. I was told even I could be a Santa if I did good in the world :)

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Hahaha !! It is acceptable to lie to the kids as long as you're spoiling them as well !! I think my good buddy Tag is more tickled than the kids!!

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
They're not lies. They're, umm, parables. Jesus was very fond of parables.

My dad was a master storyteller. I feasted on all the standard fare. Mr. Kringle, Pete Cottontail, and the Molar Momma were for rookies by the time I was six. I dealt with Garage Gremlins, assorted ghosts, aliens... he could really sell it. They were enriching, enhancing, scary, fun, and some of the best memories I have of my childhood.

Dad was also able to pass along the notable difference between story-time and prayer, without ever having to reference it.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's awesome Hulla Baloo. The reason I tell these types of events in my life Is to bring some positive thoughts into not only our lives, but others as well.
The girls were at our house for a short visit, and they couldn't wait to tell us about all the nearly new things they were giving to other kids. The girls know they are loved and protected by their whole family, that's something not everyone has the pleasure of. If I had one reason why I stay in this Forum it would be because of the family environment, respect and trust for other members. I have a really hard time this time of year, because I know there are children that will be lucky to eat, let alone get gifts. During the year if I see a child and they want a pop, candy, or a small item and the parents say they don't have the money, I quietly ask if I can buy it. I've had kids years later come up to me and thank me❤ It only takes a couple dollars and a little encouragement to make a life long change in someone's life. Please do not take this as me bragging on myself, The smiles I get and the thanks are more than anything I could ever imagine.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just received a call from a young man, that’s like a Son to us. He got a chance to experience a life lesson he will most likely never forget. He is a Fireman, and this past week he went to a fire call. After the fire was out Brad (Like a Son) and another firefighter heard a little girl had lost her blanket. Brad and the other gentleman found it, took it home washed it and personally delivered it to the little girl❤ This reminds me to thank all service people, like TreeFork

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I love it Tag! Unfortunately, I've found myself in the same dilemma that I have to ask if I can do something friendly. I always get a "yes" but our crazy world has brought us to the place where we have to ask first.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I love it Tag! Unfortunately, I've found myself in the same dilemma that I have to ask if I can do something friendly. I always get a "yes" but our crazy world has brought us to the place where we have to ask first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts