Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
5,166 Posts
I probably missed this day in Woodshop in '81....but likely would have forgotten anyway!

Duct tape to the back of your sandpaper. It is easier to grip, you can shoeshine-sand, and of course the paper lasts much longer than the sandpaper maker wishes it would!
Sling On!!
Mo
71bcb192d6f2ee699de2c432e1e9f449.jpg
f102bec9c2cff99f1cc2e473c286c48c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
They didn't have duct tape when I took woodshop. Great idea!

A "funny" story: My twin brother was in his first day of woodshop in 7th grade (1962) when the teacher, showing not how to use a band saw, cut off two of his fingers. Bob, who spent his career as a shipwright was always the "push stick guy" thoughout his career.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'll give that a try, good idea.

I'll be honest: I hate sandpapering.... :cursin: , but it's what makes those homemade frames shine once they're completed with surface finish.

A hint: I've found that wrapping some duct tape or fiber reinforced tape around the thumb used when sandpapering prevents sore skin & blisters, if ever.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

A "funny" story: My twin brother was in his first day of woodshop in 7th grade (1962) when the teacher, showing not how to use a band saw, cut off two of his fingers. Bob, who spent his career as a shipwright was always the "push stick guy" thoughout his career.
Got you beat Dr. Winnie. They did not even have sandpaper when I took wood shop. We made our own from wood ash, tallow, and pulverized clay. Of course walking six miles to and from school, uphill in a blizzard, did not leave much time for sanding our projects, which mostly consisted of splitting wood for the stove. Our shop teacher cut off his foot with a splitting maul and kept right on teaching. One of the girls stitched him up with some carpet thread and a No. 6 needle. Poured some wood grain alcohol on it and wrapped it in a burlap sack. Old Doc Malone, the local horse doctor, carved him a wooden leg from an oak limb. Oddly - no one was allergic to peanuts or gluten back then. And we wouldn't feed kale to a pig.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts

Got you beat Dr. Winnie. They did not even have sandpaper when I took wood shop. We made our own from wood ash, tallow, and pulverized clay. Of course walking six miles to and from school, uphill in a blizzard, did not leave much time for sanding our projects, which mostly consisted of splitting wood for the stove. Our shop teacher cut off his foot with a splitting maul and kept right on teaching. One of the girls stitched him up with some carpet thread and a No. 6 needle. Poured some wood grain alcohol on it and wrapped it in a burlap sack. Old Doc Malone, the local horse doctor, carved him a wooden leg from an oak limb. Oddly - no one was allergic to peanuts or gluten back then. And we wouldn't feed kale to a pig.
You didn't just beat me - you beat me by a couple orders of magnitude.

Here's to the "good old days"!

·
Registered
63 Posts

Laughed out loud and everyone came to see what was so funny. Nicely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mojave Mo
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I betcha that WoodShop Teacher became a Lawyer a few years later.

·
Mojave Mo
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be lost without my duct tape and sandpaper combo, and since we're on sandpaper tips.....don't forget to use a rubber eraser to clean the sand paper. you'll easily get 4 times the use out of it!
Sweet!!! Didn't know that tip!

·
Neophyte
2,119 Posts
Wow thanks for all the knowledge and laughs everyone :)

Reactions: MOJAVE MO

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,409 Posts
I'd be lost without my duct tape and sandpaper combo, and since we're on sandpaper tips.....don't forget to use a rubber eraser to clean the sand paper. you'll easily get 4 times the use out of it!
Agreed....that helps a lot for sure. Harbor Freight sells the big erasers for just a couple of bucks, but what also works well too, is the sole or even better, the heel of an old boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts