Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife went out of town this weekend, so it was just me and the dog and my slingshots. With all this free time, I figured I might as well be productive and work on some frames (I'm no Crazy Canuck though. Man's got a small factory going on up North!). I started working on a couple templates, but I hate sanding so I eventually dropped those and pulled out the GS10 frame I built this January.

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with the frame. I was immediately taken by Gopher's design, it's simplicity and odd shape. I crafted one out of 3/4" red oak, but I never really enjoyed using it. It just didn't sit in my hand well, it was too boxy, I didn't like the way it looked, I don't know... it was just off. I tossed it into a box after a single shooting session and hadn't touched it again until today.

I scoured the forum and found an image that inspired me: A GS-10 done up by mxred91. His take on the frame convinced me to give the GS-10 another go and turn it into something I wanted to shoot.

I started by cutting the forks down by 50%. I like using a pinch grip, and prefer the forks to just clear my hand. Then I took my time and rounded everything nicely with a rasp, getting rid of the angles (slingshots aren't just fun, they also develop patience!). I drilled a 3/4" pinky hole to help with the grip and keep the thing from feeling like a brick in the hand. With all this done the frame felt great, but I wanted to do something a little extra.

I drilled a 1" hole in the frame, about 1/8" deep. I had multiple decorative wooden disks I bought at Michael's (craft store) last year for something or other. I painted one red, cut it down to size and fit it into the slot. Coated the whole thing with a healthy amount of super glue to keep it in place. In hindsight, I should've opted for epoxy or something. The superglue didn't dry clear in some places and left little texture on the red disk. Live and learn I guess.

I finished things off with a couple coats of spray-can lacquer. In the past I've used Tung oil, but it always darkens the oak a lot. I wanted to preserve the lighter look I had when I finished sanding. Finally banded the whole thing up with some tabs and single 1842 tubes. I've got about 1,000 1/2" porcelain balls my dad unloaded on me (not complaining) and this'll be my go to frame for shooting them. I don't know if it'll be the frame I reach for on a daily basis, but it's feels 100x better in my hands. Thanks for checking it out and thanks to Gopher for the awesome design!

TLDR: shortened forks, drilled holes, added frills. Used to hate it, now I love it.

Attachments

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! The insert wasn't too difficult, and has sparked a lot of ideas for cool 'flair' for otherwise plain frames. Anyone ever see bottlecaps of unique beer/soda inserted into wood? I don't have the right drill bit for it (caps are just over 1" wide) but I am taken with the idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts