Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to order some Gum rubber from McMaster Carr this afternoon. They have abrasion resistant (brown) and regular (off white), both 1/16" thick.

Anyone know which is better?

Thanks
Chuck S.

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
I plan to order some Gum rubber from McMaster Carr this afternoon. They have abrasion resistant (brown) and regular (off white), both 1/16" thick.

Anyone know which is better?

Thanks
Chuck S.
I tried to order from McMaster-Carr and they cancelled the order because my CC billing address was a Diplomatic Post Office, said they weren't accepting any new "Export" customers, even though the shipping address was in Goldsboro NC. I sent two followup emails and they didn't even bother to answer. I suggest ordering from Rubber Sheet Roll (http://www.rubbershe..._gum_rubber.htm) instead. I would also suggest trying the .050 latex sheet. (http://www.rubbershe...rubber-film.htm) I've used both the .050 latex and 1/16th gum rubber and prefer the latex.

Henry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Chuck,
I ordered two brown 1/16" x 12" x24" sheets of the gum rubber from McMaster Carr just last week and am very happy with it. I cut my bands to 5/8" x 12" and use it this way on my naturals. On some of the smaller board cuts that I have purchased, I shortened the length of the band to 11", due to its considerable stretch. Generally, I like the long slow draw on the naturals for shooting marbles and a bit shorter draw on the board cuts for shooting steel and lead. The rubber seems very durable and cuts nicely with a guillotine paper cutter.

Hope this helps,
Mike

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Henry and Mike.

Mike that does help, I am ordering some steel balls from McMaster, so I thought I would give the gum rubber a try. Up to this point I have made mostly board cuts, but Dayhiker's gypsy tabbed slingshot got me on a natural kick. ( I expect to post my latest later today).

Henry thanks for the link I will also try some of the 0.050 latex.

Chuck S.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the steel balls and gum rubber yesterday at 5:00 PM, I got home from work today at 3:00 PM and they were here. Less than 12 hours, I was impressed, but McMaster Carr is less than 40 miles away. The gum rubber looks MIGHTY, can't wait to try it out.
Chuck S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.