Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I apologise if this has been covered before I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure. Anyways I came across this stuff about a month ago after I saw a bloke Catapult Carnage on YouTube and it looked pretty good. My main thing is longevity and power for hunting band sets and I'm wondering if anyone has had successful/positive or negative experiences with GZK elastic for taking small game. If so would love for you to post pics of your successes, band tapers and ammo used please. Thanks heaps guys!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
In my experience it is more durable than precise, and stiffer. I would definitely recommend it, with only one minus, you need to order a lot to avoid high shipping costs.
In my case that's ok, I know the thickness that I like, so I just got a 10m roll!

Reactions: Bob E

·
Registered
667 Posts
In my experience it is more durable than precise, and stiffer. I would definitely recommend it, with only one minus, you need to order a lot to avoid high shipping costs.
In my case that's ok, I know the thickness that I like, so I just got a 10m roll!
Awesome when you say 'more durable than precise,' is it still accurate and to what extent. I'm assuming it would still be better than theraband? That's great I'm nearly out of theraband and was planing to order a orange .76 10m roll to start along with some pouches and some target spinners. Which colour do you find the best?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Awesome when you say 'more durable than precise,' is it still accurate and to what extent. I'm assuming it would still be better than theraband? That's great I'm nearly out of theraband and was planing to order a orange .76 10m roll to start along with some pouches and some target spinners. Which colour do you find the best?
Accuracy is not elastic dependant, that is just the shooter!
Now, if you like theraband, then green is a bit closer to it, black is stiff and fast, and orange is also stiff and fast. I like the orange the most, it may be my imagination, but I get more shots out of it.
As for a comparison to theraband.......there is really no comparison, as all the major Chinese elastics are heaps and bounds better.
If you shoot with a short draw, then 0.76 would be ok, depending on the ammo used.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I had a set of yellow 0.55 mm thick "Precise" bands that gave me roughly 600 shots before I needed to change it. Pretty good!

Sets of 0.8 mm GZK bands I used gave up way before that by tearing suddenly somewhere in the middle between the forks and the pouch: not very safe. The bands had been properly made using a roll cutter i.e. no frayed edges whatsoever.

That said, I do not want to make a sweeping statement about GZK bands, I may simply have been unlucky with my batch of rubber: it can happen.

However, I only use "Precise" rubber now, as it's durable, reliable, and seems to handle colder temperatures quite well too.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Accuracy is not elastic dependant, that is just the shooter!
Now, if you like theraband, then green is a bit closer to it, black is stiff and fast, and orange is also stiff and fast. I like the orange the most, it may be my imagination, but I get more shots out of it.
As for a comparison to theraband.......there is really no comparison, as all the major Chinese elastics are heaps and bounds better.
If you shoot with a short draw, then 0.76 would be ok, depending on the ammo used.
I will get some orange then. Roughly how many shots do you get from a band set? and accuracy is a elastic dependent in the sense that if you have a new band set, shoot 50 shots at a 4cm target. Hit 35 then the elastic loses a slight amount of elasticity which can happen. That's what I meant and I apologise I should've said it differently. So as in does the GZK hold its performance through lifespan? And I'm shooting 3/8" ammo for hunting too.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a set of yellow 0.55 mm thick "Precise" bands that gave me roughly 600 shots before I needed to change it. Pretty good!

Sets of 0.8 mm GZK bands I used gave up way before that by tearing suddenly somewhere in the middle between the forks and the pouch: not very safe. The bands had been properly made using a roll cutter i.e. no frayed edges whatsoever.

That said, I do not want to make a sweeping statement about GZK bands, I may simply have been unlucky with my batch of rubber: it can happen.

However, I only use "Precise" rubber now, as it's durable, reliable, and seems to handle colder temperatures quite well too.
Ok thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think it is pretty safe to say that whatever bands you use you are going to burn through some rubber practicing. The nature of practicing involves taking a lot of shots. However, when hunting you take maybe 10 shots over a couple hours so bands last MUCH longer. I finally broke one of my GZK band sets yesterday after 2 weeks of daily practice. I have no idea how many shots it was but I got impressive longevity out of them. I also shoot TBG and I don't have any problems with it, I just change bands as needed. It is too cold out now to hunt with TBG (I live in Alaska and its 15 degrees F. outside).

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it is pretty safe to say that whatever bands you use you are going to burn through some rubber practicing. The nature of practicing involves taking a lot of shots. However, when hunting you take maybe 10 shots over a couple hours so bands last MUCH longer. I finally broke one of my GZK band sets yesterday after 2 weeks of daily practice. I have no idea how many shots it was but I got impressive longevity out of them. I also shoot TBG and I don't have any problems with it, I just change bands as needed. It is too cold out now to hunt with TBG (I live in Alaska and its 15 degrees F. outside).
Alright cheers. I recon I'll stick with the theraband as its generally warm here in Queensland :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would like to share my experience with GZK bands. for now i have tried orange(0.62mm) and green 0.54mm.

i really love the feeling i get with the green GZK bands, they are snappy and fast. the orange bands feel a bit slower upon release but are more quiet.

anyway, the bad thing is that the orange bands last for few shots. i could get 150-200 shots per pair.

with the green bands i could get more shots, around 400.

i really don't know what is the problem, are the bands deffective or am I doing something wrong. to note that my draw is 82cm and cut 20 cm.

ciao

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Fake orange bands...

Where have You bought Your bands from ?
When Your band breaks, is it close to the pouch or in the middle ?
How wide bands You use ?
Picture ?
I always buy from gzk site. They usually break in the middle.

Inviato dal mio Moto Z2 Play utilizzando Tapatalk
OK, so no fake bands.

Check the forks, can be sharp edge or rough spot somewhere.

Doesn't even have to be a big one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fake orange bands...

How wide bands You use ?
Picture ?

OK, so no fake bands.
I'm using a Chinese slingshot, the one with screws.
I believe you are having good experience with the gzk bands. How many shots are you getting?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I

Fake orange bands...

How wide bands You use ?
Picture ?

OK, so no fake bands.
I'm using a Chinese slingshot, the one with screws.
I believe you are having good experience with the gzk bands. How many shots are you getting?

I don't count my shots, but usually something over 500 I quess.

My normal elongation has been about 450% with 1"-3/4" taper and closer 500% when 20-15 tapered.

Your elongation is only close to 400%, so Your bands should last like forever.

Can't see the picture, but if there is no other sharp edges, it can be the screws.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I agree with Kalevala, it could be the screws damaging the bands if its one of the GZK frames that has the clips. My GZK Hammer Pro had some thumb screws on it with deep slots and the slots had a barely noticeable corner to them where the bands had been hitting it. It was a simple fix to get rid of the edge. My GZK G10 TTF Hammer came with different screws installed and I have not had a problem with those thankfully.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use gzk orange 0.8mm, with a taper of 3cm-2cm, sometimes 3-1.5cm, with an active band length of 16cm. I can accurately punch a 10cm lead or 10-12cm steel into another dimension with this set up on a pocket poucher scorpion. I agree that they don’t seem to last very long, but due to the speed and accuracy I’ve achieved with this band set up, I can live with the shorter life span.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.