Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Birds of a feather flock together, as they say. It wouldn't surprise me then if a lot of you are into hammocking. Both slingshots and hammocks involve outdoorsy people deriving more fun than is appropriate from tying likes to wood and stretching them under indecently high tensions and then posting about it, of course.

It's great for gear hoarders too. I have a Hennessy Hammock Hyperlight Asym in snake skins on 4mm Spectraline as a tropical spring/autumn lightweight set. I have a new Clark Jungle Hammock as a high-comfort spring/autumn winter set. There's a poncho, net hammock and mozzi net for summer use and my own invention of a Bridge Bag for lie-flat comfort and zero loft compression in tropical winters.

I can sometimes be found under the same username at hammockforums.net , though I don't post there much due to our hot summers.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yup yup.. My tarp is enroute and getting a new hammock soon. I have a cheapie currently but it's still awesome.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ray Mears is alright in my book.
If you get a chance check out Lars Monson's Nordkallaten 365. I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but I got his name right, it's on youtube. Incredible fun watch there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Tarp and hammock is the way to go Mel!!

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very interesting stuff! I enjoy very much to camp without tent (sleeping bang / tarp only), but never got across the idea to employ a hammock. Definitely worth a try!
It's a great summer camping style wherever you have trees. It's comfortable because you swing gently and can adjust position without contacting the uneven ground. It's lightweight, doing away with poles, under tarps and sleep mats.

In winter most people get cold because they haven't figured out how to avoid loft compression under their body. Then they compensate with lots of thick insulation that gets compressed anyway, they seal it up and it gets sweaty then damp then cold. The excessive but inefficient insulation is heavy and they've cancelled out all the benefits of hammocking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
btw that snake skin stuff sack thing is the coolest, wish my bivy was that easy to break down, anyone tried that rainwater catch thing yet, any ideas on how to make one

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bubble is sweaty. Regular insulation works, but it has to be a jacket on the outside of the hammock at least on the bottom or you'll get loft compression.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
This has been my preferred way to sleep for a while. Love it!!!
I still do a tent with the wife, but if I'm just going with my sons or with the guys I love the hammock. I've never even invested in a fancy one yet. I just use a Walmart poly net special, a sleeping bag w/ tarp over a taunt line over the top. Even when tent/car camping everyone in the fam takes a hammock for midday naps, lounging, reading etc;. They're a fine bit of kit in whatever form.

·
Registered
331 Posts
2 funny! I love hammocks for camping. My favorite is the Hennessy Hammocks. Mine got swiped last year from camp and i miss it! I loved how easy it was to get into from the bottom. I'm now using a Grand Trunk that's not bad.

When not with the family, I like to go ultra light. A hammock, rain tarp,a slingshot...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts