Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have been thinking recently about different tools or equipment that is very useful for making catty's/slingshots, but can't decide what I need
Some of the things I have been thinking of are a band saw and a dremel (rotary tool).

What is the most important tool for you for making a slingshot?

Cheers Luke

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
a good quality 2nd cut rasp and some cheap metal files

then a bandsaw, pillar drill and drum sanders and a Dremel

And cloth backed sandpaper

lots of it

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to add*

I currently own: files, sandpaper, wet and dry paper, drill press, jigsaw

Cheers Luke

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
you will wonder what you did without one!!

im without mine until friday when i can order some more blades and its terrible. feel completely lost

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would you recommend a dremmel or any rotary tool? I was looking at them for shaping and sanding as its hard to get a nice round edge. I know a router would be best but do not have much space and can be dangerous

Cheers Luke

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Would you recommend a dremmel or any rotary tool? I was looking at them for shaping and sanding as its hard to get a nice round edge. I know a router would be best but do not have much space and can be dangerous
there is a thread recently that goes into detail on that subject, i will try and find it.. my memory is none existent

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you used one of them before? if so, how are they?

If it's worth the money, yeah I suppose I could stretch haha!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Have you used one of them before? if so, how are they?
the one in the link will be fine mate, the link i gave you are out of stock so the wait will just be a pain.

Like i said, i have learned that good blades make all the difference! and the worst blade I bought was £15 branded as 'Draper', the best is 'Dakin Flathers' and are only £9 go figure

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the bandsaw is available on amazon for £120
They take stock on the 27th. I'm in no rush as it would be a birthday present, haha

Cheers Luke

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would definitely recommend a decent dremel, it makes shaping and smoothing a lot easier - there's a video on here where GKJ uses just a bandsaw and a dremel to make a fantastic shooter out of a piece of 1" HDPE. It really showcases the usefulness of a rotary tool!

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've watched that mate, haha

Have you seen this one mate?
<-- this is what inspired me to think about getting a dremel!

Cheers Luke

1 - 20 of 49 Posts