Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Hey Gote Rider,

yes I have and I am sure I am not the only one. It was to be my prototype because it rasped down so easily. Ends up that is my favorite. I have glued each fork on after each broke at some point. Finally today I put two 1/8 inch dowels down the length of each fork all the way into the handle so if if does break again it won't fly back and hit me in the face. The last time it broke was from dropping it on my wood floor.

Now that I don't get fork hits unless something peculiar happens I am confident in using it.

Common pine becomes more brittle as it dries out. It apparently was holding more moisture than I realized as the wood was in my garage. The longer it was in the house it seems like it became more brittle. I won't make another from board wood again unless I have made it from laminating at least two boards together. Or use a high quality ply wood like the kind that is used for cabinets.

It isn't that board wood of some types aren't good, but, they are susceptible to breaking as it is one piece with possibility of an unseen weakness. I don't want to put the work I do into them only to have it break on me. Or break and cause injury to me or someone else.

Footwear Jeans Shoe Hand Leg Shoe Hand Leg Wood Finger Tool Wood Brush Axe Hardwood

Edit; Actually I will make a slingshot(s) out of a board cut with one modification. I will put 2 dowels down the length or in some way fortify the forks from breakage and slingback should there be a weakness.

A good example of just having to use a beautiful piece of wood whole, is Flatbands, I think it is called desert wood. Absolutely the most beautiful piece of wood made into a slingshot I have seen. He had to "pin it' with tiny dowels to fortify it. Look for it in the "slingshots of the month".

Attachments

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
Pine will work Bud but keep it thick ( over one inch) and use light bands only on it. Makes for a very comfortable grip when used in combo with metal rod frames because it shapes so easy. Flatband

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pine will work Bud but keep it thick ( over one inch) and use light bands only on it. Makes for a very comfortable grip when used in combo with metal rod frames because it shapes so easy. Flatband
The boards that I want to try is some decking boards that I had left over from making my deck. They are 1 1\8 in. thick. I will cut one out and see how it does...Thanks to all of you for the replys...

·
Registered
525 Posts
yes i have made one out of pine board it held up really good but dont make the forks under 4cm beacuse when i had it i let my frend shoot it and he hit the fork and split the fork right off!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.