Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A friend of mine (quite older) and has passed before I got a chance to watch him make a bow. He did tell me He would find a piece of wood that was as straight as possible. He would then split it length ways into 4 sections. This gentleman would come to the store get whatever it was he needed, and out the door he went. His niece had told me about him making these bows, so one day I asked him. That was the best thing I could have ever done. He sat down and between me waiting on customers and talking to him, we spent a couple very fun and interesting hours. He said he appreciated the talk, and invited me to visit and see his shop. That's one of the times I felt grateful that I have the forum to share my interests with. He did say there was a couple people that shared his craft of making bows, but most of them say it's easier to buy one.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You could make a jig and laminate layers of wood together. Your going to need about 2000 clamps. You ware going to have a lot of waist from the cut offs. Because you have to make it over sized for the curves. It seems really labor and skill intensive. There are a lot easier ways of making slingshots, (and even harder ways) but it would be cool.

Look up how people make recurve bows from laminating wood.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
1,100 Posts
This is a bit like anything...cool, but a little expensive to set up at first. Instead of this route, I shaped a form, bowed thin plywood with Titebond II between each layer, and then clamped it curved while it dried. If the curve is not to severe, it should be fine without the steaming.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't know if it has to be that expensive. As a kid the neighbor fixed up wooden canoes and built a steamer out of a 55 gal drum with a `2" or 3" ell tube about 6ft long screwed into the bung hole. Those canoes were beautiful and I got to use them for a whole summer as a camp counselor.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
gallery_32_47_210334.jpg

gallery_32_47_38519.jpg

Here is a couple I did using the hot water method. You do have to make a mold and it is labor intensive but you can get some interesting results.
Very cool, I bet those are super strong frames

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they were very strong. It took quite a while to figure out how to do it and it was messy I use gorilla glue because every thing was wet and hot. sometimes before I could get everything clamped into place that blasted glue had foamed up into a big mess and made everything slick so it was even harder getting the clamping done. But when everything worked I got some really neat stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.