Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago I found an old, rusted hatchet head, sans handle, at a garage sale for $1. I took it home and it sat on my workbench for a long while before I cot around to cleaning it it and changing its shape using a handheld grinder. I fashioned a new handle from a piece of hickory and sewed on a leather wrap. Turned out to be my favorite hatchet to carry on camping trips. The hammer head works great for driving tent stakes, hammering nails , etc. Without the lanyard, it throws well too. I love old tools that have a history and show signs of actually have been used.

GP

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
Nice modification Pete. That old boy has been around!

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It originally had a slot, dished out on one side, for pulling nails. That was the part I ground away. It seems to be made of some good steel which takes a good edge and keeps it.
Oh my.....I just read what I wrote in the original post and found a number of typing and gramma mistakes ....sorry, next time I will read what I write before I hit "post".

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Love the hatchet.

And most of us speak and write Type-O. The ikd fingers and thumbs just drag a bit...that's all.

Man, that hatchet is fine.

·
Neophyte
2,000 Posts
That is one nice looking tool you have there :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts