Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Slingshot Warrior
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a kid,my granpa made us a version of a rubberband rifel that was cut from thick boards & resimbled muskets more or less! And instead of clothes pins,granpa attatched industrial steel clamps as the trigger lock also instead of rubberbands we were shooting elastic fan belts that could smash a glass bottle just as good as a slingshot. Its why we called them belt guns! And when I was a kid,I had my first slingshot at my hip & my belt gun strapped on my back those were the days! Did any one else own a belt gun?

·
Slingshot Warrior
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Whittlin' Jack a few files and lots of sandpaper.
It might work? Make sure the shaft of the belt gun isn't to thin for an elastic fanbelt exert's allot of pressure & make sure the groove at the front end of the gun is deep enough so it won't slip off & hurt you. But at the same time make the groove wide enough to take an elastic fanbelt,the fanbelt's them selves can prabably be obtained in the same place you can find the clamps,make sure they're elastic or you could probably find a reasonable substitute as well.

·
Slingshot Warrior
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Elastic fan belts? Wow. I bet that had some zing to it. I'm curious what you used it fo?, if other than entertainment.
It was a type of fanbelt you could stretch but it was a hard stretch & it was a **** to reload!
[/quote]We also used them to do battle with a bunch of rich kids who neighbored are granpa's property who liked to start trouble with us,they had nice bb guns but we had slingshots & belt guns
surprizingly every time they started some thing with my family they always got they're tales kicked.
Our parents couldn't afford to buy us nice bb guns but pop pop had a rustic workshop & a whole yard full of of old cars lawn mowers & motor parts! It was like Hatfields & Mcoys eccept with a kid friendly twist,I've always thought about doing a cartoonish comic for kids based on that part of my childhood. Those summers in the woods were action packed!

·
Registered
61 Posts
LOL.. Yeah I get it. We used to throw acorns at each other and man that hurt. One of the "enemy" came in with their version of an acorn "minigun". He had a sling rig and shot us to **** with a shower of acorns, he even had a loader. We didn't have the technology to compete so we broke contact and let them overrun our position. Ugh.

·
Slingshot Warrior
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL.. Yeah I get it. We used to throw acorns at each other and man that hurt. One of the "enemy" came in with their version of an acorn "minigun". He had a sling rig and shot us to **** with a shower of acorns, he even had a loader. We didn't have the technology to compete so we broke contact and let them overrun our position. Ugh.
Thats a cool story,the odds were more 50/50 in our case the rich kids could reload faster but our belt guns had more power & the connetic force of a paintball but left welts instead of bruises also were most effective at shot gun range for longer range we used slingshots & stream rocks. Because we couldn't reload as fast,we took precautions that included hiding behind bushes also tree's & we made sure that we wore green allot/camo also we wore padding to protect us from BB's. And helmet's,granpa got us these dirt cheap black fanny packs & we carried wooden clubs also wire whips for those close encounters. And we could use our belt guns as clubs,the rich kids BB guns were made of a combination of metal & a cheap plastic stalk. Which didn't have the durability of our belt guns,which were cut from a thick board with a band saw after that they were sanded also treated with wood sealer. We also carried home made wooden clubs & wire whips for those close encounters not to mention we could use our belt guns as clubs,ofcourse the rich kids adapted by sporting baseball bats. The whole whole summer was a gorrilla war of escalation,until the summer ended thus we had to go back to school which cooled our hot blood!

·
Registered
461 Posts

I knew what you r talking about , back to 80's I saw people use a rifle looking thing shooting heavey rubber band (looks like a car fan belt) hunting flying squirrel. the photo is a modern version of it - rubber powered arrow gun

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back in the late 60's, early 70's over in the UK, us kids used to throw a thing together known locally as a 'laccy gun'. Usually used rubber bands made from old auto or cycle inner tubes and could be made in a pistol or rifle type. They could fire anything, from dried peas, to small stones or ball bearings and were a whole lot of fun to fire, but not to be hit by :naughty: I'll try and throw one together in the next few days and post a couple of pics...

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
In my school days the hot ticket to detention was the Joey Gun. I don't know if the term translates internationally, but "joey" is slang for condom here in NZ.

The joey gun is an 200-300mm length of PVC water pipe or electrical conduit with a condom taped over one end. Smart kids discovered that the fingers of rubber gloves were much more powerful, so that's where they evolved. Drop a marble through the barrel into the rubber, grab it, stretch it back as far as you can, point and let it rip!

Massively powerful compared to what we ever managed with traditional slingshots, but probably not my modern standards. If you got caught with one at school, there was major trouble.

·
Slingshot Warrior
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
27-1.jpg

I knew what you r talking about , back to 80's I saw people use a rifle looking thing shooting heavey rubber band (looks like a car fan belt) hunting flying squirrel. the photo is a modern version of it - rubber powered arrow gun
Way cool,ofcourse we didn't use them for hunting but rather implements of war with a rival group of kids in the back woods of my area in America.

·
Slingshot Warrior
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In my school days the hot ticket to detention was the Joey Gun. I don't know if the term translates internationally, but "joey" is slang for condom here in NZ.

The joey gun is an 200-300mm length of PVC water pipe or electrical conduit with a condom taped over one end. Smart kids discovered that the fingers of rubber gloves were much more powerful, so that's where they evolved. Drop a marble through the barrel into the rubber, grab it, stretch it back as far as you can, point and let it rip!

Massively powerful compared to what we ever managed with traditional slingshots, but probably not my modern standards. If you got caught with one at school, there was major trouble.
Now that sounds similaur to a slingshot made by American convicts,that are made in a similaur way eccept with a plastic bottle cut in the the middle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.