Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hey guys just a quick question i'm currently in the middle of making a baby dragon out of black HDPE from simpleshot and the cutting worked fine with my jig saw and I got it rough shaped to my hand but I can not seem to get it smooth or even close to scratch free. So guys I need your help. What's the best way to final sand and finish an HDPE slingshot?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks and does it have to be smooth before hand?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Here is what i'm working with. I will dig out the dremel and try to get it smoother before I put it to the flame.

Gesture Finger Thumb Bicycle part Tool

Gesture Wood Thumb Finger Wrist

Attachments

Reactions: Samurai Samoht

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here it is after the dremel it feels incredible but its ugly as heck and it won't get any smoother.

Finger Gesture Thumb Art Nail

Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a small lighter and an alcohol wick burner for the flame but nothing else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Take almost any piece of stiff piping and wrap the sand paper around it and use it like a rasp or file. repeat for higher grits. Then I like to use tongs and carefully roast them over a stove top.... BUT BE VERY CAREFUL. If done wrong it can weaken the slingshot and release toxic gasses in the air, but if done right it leave the hdpe smooth.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting idea maybe I just haven't tried hard enough with the sandpaper.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah sanding can be a pain that might help Ill definitely try it thanks! So iv'e been sanding it and it's starting to look better I think Ill be able to get it smooth I just still don't understand the heating part I tried it with a lighter and it is hot enough to melt it but it doesn't really make it smoother.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And the surface will become smooth?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sadly all I have is a heat gun some cheap lighters and obviously a stove.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone have pics of one in progress?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I have found that i prefer to just keep sanding and sanding and sanding. Do not move on to the next grit until there are NO signs of scratches from the previous grit or tool. In other words, if you use a file for shaping, then go to 80 grit sandpaper and sand until all file marks are removed, then go to 120 grit and sand until all 80 grit marks are removed. keep going to at least 600 or 800, and you will be happy with it. it won't be a glassy finish but it will be very smooth. Black is about the worst for showing marks, and even if you flame finish it, it will show scratches and marks easily. here are a couple i made sanded to 600. the flash made them look a little frosted but these are smoooooth.

IMG_32940371673571_zpst1qejwcg.jpeg

IMG_32935222442614_zpspbwv4r21.jpeg

Reactions: SharpshooterJD
1 - 20 of 24 Posts