Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am a huge fan of the HDPE multi colored swirled slingshots and looking a nice used one.... or decent. I do not have a lot of funds atm (like $20 ish) but would be willing to trade (I make frames). I tried my hand at making HDPE swirled style slings with my waste plastics but I can't seem to figure it out. Included a pic of what I mean by colored swirl, Any color would be okay in my book.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I am a huge fan of the HDPE multi colored swirled slingshots and looking a nice used one.... or decent. I do not have a lot of funds atm (like $20 ish) but would be willing to trade (I make frames). I tried my hand at making HDPE swirled style slings with my waste plastics but I can't seem to figure it out. Included a pic of what I mean by colored swirl, Any color would be okay in my book.
That slingshot looks like one of Can Openers. He calls the process he uses as combing. His YouTube channel is Randy Knapp. He has a couple of videos showing how he "combs" Hdpe if you would like to try it yourself.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That slingshot looks like one of Can Openers. He calls the process he uses as combing. His YouTube channel is Randy Knapp. He has a couple of videos showing how he "combs" Hdpe if you would like to try it yourself.
Absolutely worth a check out.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Custom blended HDPE is not to difficult to make. Can-Opener (Randy Knapp) or myself have a few YouTube videos on the process. The thing to know is that household HDPE (soap/shampoo containers and the like) will require some sort of press to force the molten HDPE into shape. While five gallon buckets become much more viscous in there melted state and only need clamping pressure to stop the slab from buckling during the cooling process.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Custom blended HDPE is not to difficult to make. Can-Opener (Randy Knapp) or myself have a few YouTube videos on the process. The thing to know is that household HDPE (soap/shampoo containers and the like) will require some sort of press to force the molten HDPE into shape. While five gallon buckets become much more viscous in there melted state and only need clamping pressure to stop the slab from buckling during the cooling process.
...and used containers have to be spotlessly clean. Best to buy the buckets new like Matt says.

I got a few slab laying around if you want to purchase one for your own use. I make them any chance I get since the oven rarely has anything else to do.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads-up mate, do you just add a dye to the bucket once it is melted then? The one big issue I see is being able to use the oven...just bought and don't think I can get away with putting anything not food related into it haha.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...and used containers have to be spotlessly clean. Best to buy the buckets new like Matt says.

I got a few slab laying around if you want to purchase one for your own use. I make them any chance I get since the oven rarely has anything else to do.
I may take you up on that mate, Eldon 77 has been kind enough to send(ing) a beast coast to try out to fill my needs, hopefully it is a good match ????

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up mate, do you just add a dye to the bucket once it is melted then? The one big issue I see is being able to use the oven...just bought and don't think I can get away with putting anything not food related into it haha.
You need to watch the videos. There is no dye. The different colored buckets are cut into strips and laid side by side. When the strips become warm enough they are "combed" to produce the swirls

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
You need to watch the videos. There is no dye. The different colored buckets are cut into strips and laid side by side. When the strips become warm enough they are "combed" to produce the swirls
...or you can randomly throw in different size pieces in a mix and let them melt like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts