Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long time ago I made a stockpile of HDPE for slingshots that I never got around to using. I realised today that it might be a good material for targets, so I chose my ugliest piece and cut out some discs and smoothed them out on the lathe. They are 60, 50, 40 and 30mm in diameter:

Natural material Nickel Body jewelry Jewellery Wood

They're around 10mm thick, so there's room to drill the mounting hole through the side and wire them up with 2mm steel fencing wire:

Green Natural material Terrestrial plant Jewellery Circle

Strung up in a row on paracord with plastic spacers to keep them apart:

Leaf Wood Sleeve Plant Swing

In Action:

After a few dozen shots at the four of them, the 50mm one split in two. After a few hundred shots the other smaller ones are strting to split, but the big one is ok. This is a function of the way the HDPE plate was made - laminated layers pressed and folded like damascus steel at a relatively low temperature.

Improvements for next time:

1 - Use HDPE that is made in bulk rather than in folded layers.

2 - Use light paracord instead of the fencing wire, which gets bent too easily.

3 - ...or use them in a Spanish Knock-down target system.

Attachments

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've been using leather most of the time and it's the best all-round material I've tried.

These heavier materials also bounce back an unacceptably high proportion of shots, which leather doesn't do.

·
Premium Member
9,962 Posts
You do nice work. Too bad it didn't work out. I use a cut out from a 50gal. plastic barrel and it holds up well. It makes a flat spot on lead ammo though. Looking forward to to see your next try.

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I reverted to heavy leather for the next batch. 2.4mm thick, doubled over a light cord.

Green Azure Wood Textile Rectangle

Product Idiophone Gas Circle Jewellery

Hot glue seems to be a good, tough, flexible means of closing to two halves and taking a pounding.

Hand Wood Gesture Finger Font

As a final insult, the last remaining HDPE spinner broke on the 10th shot of a Sharpshooter 2nd Degree attempt 12 in a row).

I'll make 60mm and 50mm ones to go with these 40mm and 30mm ones.

Body jewelry Gas Circle Jewellery Necklace

Attachments

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
Here's my now retired practice spinner. It's a 48mm square 316 stainless steel washer. It has given as good as it got, with several of the 9.5mm stainless steel balls having flat spots of their own. The downside is that it flings ammo all over the place, as much out of the catch box as in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
On the leathers, a stitch or two here and there is a good idea. The leather lasts forever but the glue shocks out. I have a single piece with ears that I have not been able to kill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts