Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about those reusable heat bags, they heat up to 50°C (122°F),
if you put them in your pocket near your slingshot to keep the rubber at a very high temperature, it should perform much better, especially at cold days.
I will try it, and put it in my slingshot bag. If one used an insulating bag (eg. to keep cold stuff cool) and put the heat bag and slingshot into it together, it should have a good effect, plus in summer, it doesn't melt your body...

·
Super Moderator
5,206 Posts
We've seen this one before, and I for one, do not believe the 270+ m/s. Check out the Speed Freaks forum for some realistic speeds.
Then see what members have actually achieved.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I'll second the skepticism above, very very few have broken the 500 fps mark here so 800+ fps seems pretty amazing.

It also seems like this would be pretty easy to test / replicate. Lots of people with chronographs here, and setting up a heat pack in an insulated bag like you suggest or getting some hot / boiling water to soak your bands in right before shooting over the chrony shouldn't be so hard.

It would be interesting to see if somebody could replicate this. 🤔

On the flipside, many here have tested the cold tolerance of bands and found that some of the "cold tolerant" brands (Simpleshot and others) do slow down a bit in cold weather but give up less than 10% of velocity going from a near freezing morning to a pretty (80 degree F) afternoon, so the cold tolerant bands really seem to be pretty good.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I also can't really believe the 270m/s ... but I will start a little experiment with boiled bands...
And yes, it shouldn't be too hard, replicating, or at least test the effect of boiling water. atm i'm just out of bands, i'm waiting for a new rotary blade beeing delivered...

at least the heat bags should bring me about 10-15m/s for the colder periods.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I agree testing is a great idea. Being skeptical is one thing, but actually trying to repeat it is another. I would have saved myself eating a lot of crow over the years if I had tried to confirm everything I didn't believe at first. And yes, this seems pretty magical fantastical, but I'll feel better about accepting or rejecting it when somebody tries to repeat it independently. I may even give it a go at some point, though it will be a while. I have several other things on my list to try and haven't had time to get to those lately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts