Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
After it came quiet clear that heated rubber enhances performance, plus the fact that the fall is here and the winter will come soon, I have decided to make a band heating frame.

I spent a long time thinking about heat wire, even gas burners, but that is all too complex. Simple is the way to go.

So I will simply use my trusted "W" design (originally provided by Bill Herriman), and then I will attach copper tubes to the back of the frame, at an angle. The tubes will be attached to the tips of the fork, just underneath the rubber attachment. Then they will run downwards and forwards, at 35 degree angle. They will also be closer together at the tips.

The copper tubes will be filled with hot water (almost boiling). The tubes will then be closed with threaded caps.

Before shooting, you rest the bands on the heated copper, maybe even with some insulation foam tube over the entire setup. The pouch rests on a special notch, so the rubber maintains a good contact
with the copper.

When you shoot, you simply grab the pouch, lift the rubber from the heated tubes and fire. Afterwards, you simply put them back for reheating.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm... I think hot water/cooper will release the heat very fast... may be usable for some plinking shots prior to refill, but might not be very practical on the field.

What about the old fashioned solution?.. putting the SS around the shooter's neck, inside the jacket or under the arm?.

While on the track, I usually pack a hand warmer with me... that could help also.

I don't like to use gloves... handslaps are very painful when it is cold...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
would you see this setup being used for hunting? if so i just wonder why it would be needed, i know several people who hunt rabbits all winter long (and Minnesota winters at that) without even putting the slingshot under their coat, the bunnies don't seem notice the difference in performance

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
would you see this setup being used for hunting? if so i just wonder why it would be needed, i know several people who hunt rabbits all winter long (and Minnesota winters at that) without even putting the slingshot under their coat, the bunnies don't seem notice the difference in performance
If your shooting rabbits from a safe distance to kill it shouldnt make any differance, i do most of my hunting in the winter, but it will be intresting to find out what differance it makes, you never know i mite start putting a pocket warmer in with my bands, jeff

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sole reason I want to build that slingshot is because I can!

Knowing that there is a way to increase power and NOT using it is unbearable for me.

This will heat the rubbet to a temperature that is way higher than body warmth. And I plan on using foam insulation to maintain the heat.

Jörg

·
Registered
280 Posts
After it came quiet clear that heated rubber enhances performance, plus the fact that the fall is here and the winter will come soon, I have decided to make a band heating frame.

I spent a long time thinking about heat wire, even gas burners, but that is all too complex. Simple is the way to go.

So I will simply use my trusted "W" design (originally provided by Bill Herriman), and then I will attach copper tubes to the back of the frame, at an angle. The tubes will be attached to the tips of the fork, just underneath the rubber attachment. Then they will run downwards and forwards, at 35 degree angle. They will also be closer together at the tips.

The copper tubes will be filled with hot water (almost boiling). The tubes will then be closed with threaded caps.

Before shooting, you rest the bands on the heated copper, maybe even with some insulation foam tube over the entire setup. The pouch rests on a special notch, so the rubber maintains a good contact
with the copper.

When you shoot, you simply grab the pouch, lift the rubber from the heated tubes and fire. Afterwards, you simply put them back for reheating.

What do you think?
IMHO A single heated vessel with the bands wrapped around it would be a better way to transfer heat.

Think Boa-constrictor

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
The sole reason I want to build that slingshot is because I can!

Knowing that there is a way to increase power and NOT using it is unbearable for me.

This will heat the rubbet to a temperature that is way higher than body warmth. And I plan on using foam insulation to maintain the heat.

Jörg
Would a couple of coils running of a couple of batterys in the handle keep the water warm, jeff

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spent some time with my brother (the physicist) calculating the battery size needed, and it would have to be a huge block. So I gave up on that route.

Also I don't want to do the boa thing. I think that it is important to shoot quickly so the bands would not cool down much. The two tubes allow that.

Well insulated copper should be able to hold the heat for a few hours, if there is enough hot water inside of them. I did order a thermometer "gun" that can measure the surface temmperature from far away, guided by a laser beam. So I will find out.

Jörg

·
"Crafter"
1,897 Posts
Its getting colder here in the uk. From what i found out last week shooting early in the morning its not just a case of making the bands shoot faster its a case of getting them to shoot at all! It was auwful how slow they shot in the cold weather i think the KISS keep it simple stupid works well for me i just boiled my kettle filled a hot water bottle, wrapped in layer of towel ,placed my slingshot in the towel and enjoyed a cup of tea, suffice to say they shot alot better at a warmer temp. After ten or so shots i would put back inside the towel for half a minuite and enjoy my normal speeds.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I spent some time with my brother (the physicist) calculating the battery size needed, and it would have to be a huge block. So I gave up on that route.

Also I don't want to do the boa thing. I think that it is important to shoot quickly so the bands would not cool down much. The two tubes allow that.

Well insulated copper should be able to hold the heat for a few hours, if there is enough hot water inside of them. I did order a thermometer "gun" that can measure the surface temmperature from far away, guided by a laser beam. So I will find out.

Jörg
I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, so don't take it too seriously. This would be a bit large and clunky ...

* You could attach a lithium ion electric drill battery to the bottom of the handle, which would be the power source for a pair of induction-heated smooth copper spindles. The bands would attach to the copper spindles. You could have a button somewhere which would cause the copper spindles to retract the bands (rolling them up around the copper), and a small computer chip would control the induction heating of the spindle, to maintain optimal band temperature when not being actively drawn. loading and drawing the sling would cause the spindle to uncoil and allow the bands to be stretched ... then you shoot. After having shot, you push the button and the battery recoils the bands again and the induction element resumes maintaining optimal temperature in the retracted (coiled up) position. Think heated garden hose recoiler.

Now watch ... someone actually builds it, and gets rich.

I'll preemptively throw a name out there ... "The Thunderbolt" ... and stake a copyright and datestamp on the design. I want a percentage of the proceeds.

{kidding}

/me pictures a 9v lithium-ion auto-recoiling heated slingshot by Makita power hunting tools.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.