Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...

I joined this forum in 2012 and back then I guess I just kind of lurked in the forum. Well... I've been getting interested in slingshots again was inspired to start making some of my own. I 're-joined' tonight and decided to start posting so that I could learn from some of you on how to build and make some nice custom slingshots. I have a pretty decent workshop now and thought this might be the perfect time to start some projects. So I thought the proper thing to do was stop in and properly introduce myself.

I live outside of Tampa, Florida in the land of 'no' rocks. :imslow: As far as rock shooting goes, I don't think you could pick a worse state. Lots of limestone coral rocks, but they aren't exactly ammo worthy. I don't normally shoot rocks, but it's something I often think about while out hiking. I'm originally from Michigan and there was always plenty of good rocks to shoot up there as a kid.

So.. just thought I'd stop in and say hello. I'm hoping I'll get a few tips here and there on designs for making some nice custom slingshots of my own. I've been eyeing some BB shooter slingshots that Metrograde has/had on that website and it's been inspiring me to make one. I just built a pretty nice catchbox for ammo today. Going to put some wheels on it tomorrow so it'll be easier to move around and mount a blowgun target above the box for an all-purpose plinking station. lol So it's got me itching to get out in the workshop and see what I can do. I've seen some pretty beautiful designs on this forum. I'm hoping I can get close to the quality I've seen posted here.

So HELLOOO everyone :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Grandpa Pete, yes I have a lot of fun with a blowgun. I have several homemade shooters and I finally broke down and bought that Cold Steel Big Bore monster. It's a powerful blowgun for sure.

Ghost0311 I've done that up near the Ocala National Forest. I used to live there and there's clay so I've made some ammo that way a couple times. Did the whole 'fire' them in the bonfire to harden. While they came out pretty decent for the most part, some were burnt beyond usable. I just find it odd being in Florida and there's so very few rocks. I've gathered a few near the railroad tracks that were usable in a way that was better than terrible, lol but I hardly ever stumble upon a rock here that I'd pick up and pocket.

Thanks all who stopped by to say hello. Seems I'm in good company.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome! You have probably checked out the 'Templates' section already, but if not there are some great patterns available. I used to clam for a living near Melbourne... the salt water inlets. Left my boat, and ex-wife there. She was a great housekeeper. She kept the house.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ol'school42 I haven't dug deep into the templates but that was my next move. Trying to find out where to get some decent exotic wood veneer/boards for a first go around. Great housekeeper huh? lol Yeah.. seen that happen all too many times. Knew a few people that are crabbers in Cedar Key. Seemed like such a fun way to spend the day. Not on a big commercial boat, but a 14-16' boat just running around checking traps and fishing in between. Sounds like a pretty good life. Hard to get a license though I've heard.

·
Super Moderator
6,541 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lycosa, your might try lumber yards & places where cabinetry is made, ask if they have any scrape exotic pieces. I've picked up free samples at flooring companies & large hardware stores, like Shells, even large Ace. Just a thought.

Clamming/Fishing license wasn't hard in the late 1980s. I had a 22' Cobia with the roof cut off, and a compressor that fed me air through a hose into a regulator. Only bad day was when the wake of some fool in a speed boat jerked the boat and pulled me over a stingray... went right through my wetsuit and missed the femoral vein by a half inch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lycosa, your might try lumber yards & places where cabinetry is made, ask if they have any scrape exotic pieces. I've picked up free samples at flooring companies & large hardware stores, like Shells, even large Ace. Just a thought.

Clamming/Fishing license wasn't hard in the late 1980s. I had a 22' Cobia with the roof cut off, and a compressor that fed me air through a hose into a regulator. Only bad day was when the wake of some fool in a speed boat jerked the boat and pulled me over a stingray... went right through my wetsuit and missed the femoral vein by a half inch.
I've been looking hard, I have some leads and thanks for the tips on where to look. I've got my hands a few good peices. I got a whole bunch of redwood wide enough to make scales in a laminate. So I think in time I'll work it out.

I'm a diver myself. Certified through NAUI back around 2000. Used to dive a lot around Crystal River and all the deep springs. A few dives in the keys and man I wished I could take a few of the hundreds of spiny lobsters I was staring at. Been over a few stingrays myself, but I only was ever stung by a small ray (not sure what species) I caught while fishing in Cedar Key. Caught the spine in the muscle of my thumb. That sonovabish hurt for a good couple of hours and thumb was in spasm dancing without my permission. lol So I can only imagine how bad getting nailed by stingray spine must of felt. Ouch!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts