Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Jacek and I'm from northern Poland. I started building and shooting slingshots long time ago when I was twelve. Back then in the old good days before computers imprisoned kids in their bedrooms my mates and me used to hang around outside playing real life games. We adored screen heroes like Geronimo,Robin Hood, Wilhelm Tell and the likes so we built our own gear and threw spears,shot bows and arrows and crossbows... It was an attempt to build a crossbow that introduced me to a slingshot. You see my friends had turned their bows into crossbows and my bow broke just the day before. What a pain and were due to rival another gang in a crossbow target shooting...in one hour! There was no time to get a decent haselnut branch for the crossbow so I had to think of something. Bear in mind it was years before MacGyver showed us the way! I refused to take no for an answer and could just remember buying aircraft rubber as we called it because it was primarely sold and used to propel model aircraft. It was a flatband very stretchable and powerful. So I borrowed my mother's wooden coat hanger which happened to imitate a nicely curved Mongol bow and attached a length of rubber slightly tensed.It really did work very well, in fact my makeshift crossbow turned out to be the most powerful although I didn't win the target contest. Well I put it down to lack of practice
When my friend were honing their shooting skills I had to work hard and put my weapon together. My crossbow adventure however was short lived. Same evening my mother needed that hanger...So the next day I went to the woods and came back with a natural fork and constructed my first slingshot. I loved it. Compact and powerful and I was amazed how quickly I could shoot pretty accurately... and free amo everywhere.I was using stones those days. I decided I preffered shooting instead of daily crafting new arrows to replace those lost in high grass. Slingshot replaced bow for good. I haven't shot slingshots any more for over thirty years until last year when I accidentaly came across an internet site of Robert Blair from US and his most innovative com bow. A sling allowing you to shoot short arrows.Wonderful! Bow meets slingshot.For me the best of both worlds.I ordered a set of short arrows and special arrow bands and I love it.I got hooked again.I searched the web for any useful info and I found Jorg's Slingshot Channel.This is amazing! I've just bought strong tubes and sheets of flat rubber and soon I will start experimenting.I built and successfully shot my own short arrows.I need to make new ones cos I lost the first two in snow! I hope I can find more help and support in my quest on this forum.I already have.Thank you guys!

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Hi Jax, welcome, you will find that you have just joined the best SS Forum by far. Great guys and all SS crazy. Have fun.
Philly

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Wonderful!!! Welcome!!! Check out my slingshot archery items on my website.

·
Super Moderator
7,043 Posts
Welcome aboard Jacek! Flatband

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all, it's so nice to feel welcome. I've been reading on this forum for some time now and recently decided to join in. I found lots of interesting information but I'm also having loads of fun. So many great stories here!

I noticed there is great interest for shooting flechettes. I've been shooting flechettes on and off for over a year now. I found them on combowslingguy.com website of Robert Blair. I ordered short arrows and tubes with string where you hook them but decided to get his combow later. I planned to go for a natural fork like I used to do many years ago but when the arrows finally arrived I was so excited I couldn't wait until I had time to look for a nice piece of wood.
I just had to give it a go! But you need a frame of some kind to shoot an arrow with a sharp steel point...or maybe not? After long deliberation I saw light in the tunnel.
Could a hand replace a fork if you shoot flip style? Theoretically why not.When shooting flip style a projectile passes over and not between the prongs of the fork.
So I strapped a flat piece of hard plastic sheet to the back of my hand and held the rubber between my fingers like in the picture. I started gently and slowly with a big flip.It worked! Then I increased speed and power and soon I was shooting at full draw with only a slight flip.I quickly got so confident I started shooting bare hand with no protection at all.It's not so dangerous as it seems. Before I went bare hand I tried and shot with no flip. The flechette just touched the plastic where it covered knuckles of my fingers and of course got massively deflected but the hit was a lot lighter than I expected.It could hurt the skin but no way it would pierce my hand. I'm pretty sure a sensible projectile like a well designed short arrow or a round, consistent ball cannot pass under the line of support for the rubber unless you flip upwards or jerk your hand up. But why on earth would anybody do it?! I will post a video of my bare hand flechette shooting end of the week when I'm back home ,by the way it is not Robert Blair's tubes as I'm writing this post in London and my toys are in Poland . (I live half a month in London and the other half in Poland nicely rural to keep things balanced
). I played with chained rubber here in London and the first casualty was a pen come arrow which went farther, much farther than I ever thought possible for humble rubber bands from local stationers. I believe it's latex.I never found that pen in high grass.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.