Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Singing along with the voices in my head
442 Posts
Hi There,

I have been lurking for a bit, and wanted to make it official and create an account. I don't own a slingshot, and haven't held one in my hands in probably 30 years, but we all have to start again somewhere :)

I have a couple of slingshots in my sights, and on Friday they will be ordered, and will probably get them in my hands in the new year. But what to do while I wait?...

As it's Winter, I won't be able to shoot outside really, and think it would be best to learn in a more controlled (read private) environment. So I need an indoor setup. I have an unfinished basement, so check :)

I need a catchbox, and inspired by @Fiveshooter and his barrel catchboxes, the search began. $20 later I had a 55 gallon barrel in the back of my car, and headed home to get 'er together. I think it came out pretty good. As I don't have an SS yet, had to do some preliminary testing with an airsoft pistol. Seems good so far.

A6j94GS.jpg

That didn't take near long enough, so back to waiting, and soaking up knowledge from a couple slingshot forums and YouTube. My wife thinks I'm a little nuts, but she's used to me diving right in head first in new hobbies.

And my shopping list... Feedback and advice is more than welcome!

• Axiom Ocularis
  • Uniphoxx
  • Scorpion

In addition to those, some pouches, latex, ammo, etc.

Next up on the projects while we wait, need to build a better stand for the barrel, and build a band building rig.

Thanks for reading,

Mike

CC

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Welcome! Your list is perfect. Those frames are probably all you would need.

Reactions: hoggy

·
Amateur
2,571 Posts
Looks like you're off to a running start! Do like Devils son in law suggested if you have the opportunity and cut a natural fork to tide you over. Welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Welcome. Theres quite a few Canadians on here. Heck we even got a moderator (Charles) thats one of us Canucks.

Ive been living in Edmonto the last bunch of years,although im originally from down where you are.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm digging your setup already.

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Going to try to make one with a 1/2" HDPE sheet I picked up today. I expect it to be a slow process, but hopefully it turns out okay. Going with the Patriot template from Bill Hays.

OTvt58M.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Big shout out to you from East Toronto !

I too have had to settle for the basement shooting gallery, for now! .... but it's working out fine and strangely; the cats don't seem to be bothered by it ! Woodworking is my main hobby so I've been making my own stuff since picking up the Slingshot bug a couple of months or so ago.

Welcome - Hope you plan on staying around and sharing your experiences on this great Forum.

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

My boardcut project has gone the way of the dodo due to operator error. I may revisit it in the future, but for now, I'll just wait for packages to arrive in the mail :)

I have a care package coming from BC and the UK, and am very excited for those. Also ordered a couple other frames. I may have gone a little overboard, but at least I'll have several different examples to get a feel for what I like.

I have a Harpy from STO that just landed in Canada, and is being processed. Should have it in a couple of days. So while my board cut didn't work out this time, my first frame looks like it will still be a Bill Hays design :)

While waiting, I've been devouring forum threads and YouTube videos, and while I'm sure it's not the same as shooting, I hope I've been learning a lot. It's definitely been fun so far!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts