Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this idea from a Bill Hayes "Paladin". I wanted a place to keep the ammo instead of my pocket. This will hold 9 3/8 steel. I just do not know how to stop them from falling out. I know bill used a magnet but that is out of my league. There has to be a simple idea. DO oyu have one? Any and all will be appreciated. As you can see it is only roughed out so I can mess with whatever. Thanks Dean
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Got this idea from a Bill Hayes "Paladin". I wanted a place to keep the ammo instead of my pocket. This will hold 9 3/8 steel. I just do not know how to stop them from falling out. I know bill used a magnet but that is out of my league. There has to be a simple idea. DO oyu have one? Any and all will be appreciated. As you can see it is only roughed out so I can mess with whatever. Thanks Dean
View attachment 21025 View attachment 21026 View attachment 21027 View attachment 21028
you dont have many options, especially none that would not look terrible, you either need a slider, or spring loaded trap door, your design wont work for magnets, the balls rest inside the frame, with no access. you need small channels cut to even reach a ball. the magnet is the best choice if you cut the channels, anything else would be fitted on the outside of the frame, you could make a few holes and use it like a flute?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
drill another tunnel from the side and seal the end, so when you tip it over hopefully only one ammo makes it through the V intersection of 2 tunnels

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 21025 View attachment 21026 View attachment 21027 View attachment 21028
you dont have many options, especially none that would not look terrible, you either need a slider, or spring loaded trap door, your design wont work for magnets, the balls rest inside the frame, with no access. you need small channels cut to even reach a ball. the magnet is the best choice if you cut the channels, anything else would be fitted on the outside of the frame, you could make a few holes and use it like a flute?
[/quote]I can see what you are talking about. "Looks" for the first try is not an issue. I am hoping with ideas I get I can fine tune it a bit. I already thought of another way to store the ammo too>

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
drill another tunnel from the side and seal the end, so when you tip it over hopefully only one ammo makes it through the V intersection of 2 tunnels
I was thinking of doing another with the "hole" being close to the intersection of the forks to the bottom of the handle (not all the way thru though). Then having something I could move with my thumb?????? Just thinking.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think this would work best, possibly put a spring in the base of handle and then seal it, drill another hole that runs into the channel u already have somewhere else in the handle, the spring should help to hold them in place until u turn the handle to retrieve a ball.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
It would be relatively easy to fit a small magnet, you have made a fine looking sling, to inlay a small magnet and a groove/channel would be well within your capabilities?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was thinking of doing another with the "hole" being close to the intersection of the forks to the bottom of the handle (not all the way thru though). Then having something I could move with my thumb?????? Just thinking.
[/quote]

that is basically what i meant, if u spring load it from the bottom of the handle it would help to keep the ammo in place as well.

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
2,089 Posts
gouge a small hole on the exposed sidewall and find a small magnet (break a kid's magnetic building set) and glue it in so it's on the high (exposed) side of your hole. that way you can get your finger on the ball, and it's still detaining the ball behind it. knowdamean? i'll rough out a sketch

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really think the magnet and groove is the best thing going. I will give it a go and post some pics when it is in. As you all can see it is in the "rough" stage stil. Lots of sanding ahead. Thank you all for your help. If there are more ideas please pos tthem. I am not doing anything for a day or two. Dean

·
Registered
503 Posts
I use a small spring and a strip of rubber over the bottom so you can just clip one out when wanted, hope it helps
Do you have a picture?
[/quote]
If you look up .50 cal stickshot on the search section it should come up, hope it helps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts