Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a large fork of an unknown (to me..) wood that has beautiful dark hue but was pretty rotten and dry; it is fourth frome the right on my bunch of frames in this picture:

Plant Wood Road surface Grass Groundcover

I was reluctant to throw it away so I treated it in my Vacuum Jar. I measured its weight before and it was 80.40 grams:

Scale Office ruler Wood Natural material Plant

After the treatment in my Vacuum Jar and soaked in BLO it gained - you will not believe - some 95 grams; the precise scale in the first picture above couldn't even measure it since its maximum is 100 grams so I measured it with our kitchen scale, not very precise but still reliable:

Gauge Green Measuring instrument Material property Temperature

I gave it some 10 days for the BLO to settle, but when I started to work on it, the wood was sticky like pine wood full of resin.

Plant Wood Trunk Tree Table

Now, my question is: how to finish the cure of BLO?

Shall I give it some month more, or add something else to it or, maybe, treat it in the oven like we seen some time here in the forum but in this case I am not sure is it going to burn, explode, become even more sticky or what..

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

jazz

Attachments

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
If you heat it the excess blo will come to the surface and can be wiped off. This is also drying it faster and opening the grain so that it absorbs better. You may have to rinse and repeat until it stops sweating. Of course there is the possibility that this won't work well if it is holding too much. I have a fork from a trade that is so saturated that that after 5 years it still reeks and carves like soap.

Reactions: jazz

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you heat it the excess blo will come to the surface and can be wiped off. This is also drying it faster and opening the grain so that it absorbs better. You may have to rinse and repeat until it stops sweating. Of course there is the possibility that this won't work well if it is holding too much. I have a fork from a trade that is so saturated that that after 5 years it still reeks and carves like soap.
Hi, flipgun,

I will take your advice and go with heating, and whatever happens.. Thank you very much,

cheers,

jazz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.