Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Two pics, in the first, you can see everything lined up nicely. Second pic, everything is vague, no specific line.
When I shoot like it's shown in the first pic, I struggle. When shooting like in the second, I get a very consistent hits.
Now, this when shooting with this specific frame, ttf is another matter altogether, and ott with frames with specific lines and corners are also another matter.
My problem is that shooting like that in the second pic, I can comfortably hit anything, but I don't feel secure, my stomach tingles with uncertainty, so I just feel when to let go, and....hit...
What the heck is that guys? Is it instinctive or aiming? I am in the dark here.
I was stable for a long time, and now this leap in accuracy, but followed with this thing that I don't know what it is. I don't like not being able to explain how I hit things. If someone asks me what is my aiming point with the PSTS, I really DONT know, but I know my accuracy doesn't suffer. If it wasn't for the 4 month challenge, I would try to shoot ttf the same way, to try and compare, but I can't.
HELP!

Edit* I've put my finger on purpose in the second pic, as I can't actually take a pic of my sight picture when I shoot with this second way. I simply don't know what to include in the pic, so it's just an example.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Two pics, in the first, you can see everything lined up nicely. Second pic, everything is vague, no specific line.
When I shoot like it's shown in the first pic, I struggle. When shooting like in the second, I get a very consistent hits.
Now, this when shooting with this specific frame, ttf is another matter altogether, and ott with frames with specific lines and corners are also another matter.
My problem is that shooting like that in the second pic, I can comfortably hit anything, but I don't feel secure, my stomach tingles with uncertainty, so I just feel when to let go, and....hit...
What the heck is that guys? Is it instinctive or aiming? I am in the dark here.
I was stable for a long time, and now this leap in accuracy, but followed with this thing that I don't know what it is. I don't like not being able to explain how I hit things. If someone asks me what is my aiming point with the PSTS, I really DONT know, but I know my accuracy doesn't suffer. If it wasn't for the 4 month challenge, I would try to shoot ttf the same way, to try and compare, but I can't.
HELP!

Edit* I've put my finger on purpose in the second pic, as I can't actually take a pic of my sight picture when I shoot with this second way. I simply don't know what to include in the pic, so it's just an example.
I will do an in-depth series of pictures tonight, as I have no work and nothing planned LOL. I've been meaning to make this its own thread for a while now, to get others input on how they do what they do, and to illustrate my own methods. If I do say so myself, I have come up with a fairly straightforward way to illustrate how I shoot the way I do. This also seeks to illustrate the method of shooting used by Rufus Hussey and endorsed buy Shooters like MJ, I've referred to it before as shooting across the chest. Will post some time tomorrow. :)

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I thought I posted on this... but it was late and I had taken antihistamines...
Instinctive shooting is difficult to explain because it would sound like I was stating the obvious. When Rufus Hussey explained it for years (a few decades back) I thought he was not sharing his "secret".

He says something like... look at the target and shoot it... and if you can see it you can hit it.

I think many hours of just looking at a target and shootimg at it till becomes familar as walking.
A good start is a 4 month mono frame challenge. Hint... hint...

PS- BPChef, I cannot wait to see what you come with in those pics. I barely shot last week. Made a point of shooting today. 2.5" spinner at 33' and I am still hitting a solid 30%-40%.

I hopento do more shooting. Had loads of extra dr. appts. and the like for my kids... the wife got sick... etc...

This week I hope to make up some range time... next weekend I am backpacking and definitely taking some walking shots.

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
I can't really explain it either, but I don't shoot instinctive a lot. When it works, it works and I can usually tell immediately if the shot will hit or not. I think the mind focuses in a different way, but I can't explain it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
For many years the popular traditional archery forum was full of postings on instinctive/intuitive shooting. The postings often turn into heated debates about whether all shooting styles involve a form of aiming. Those who "instinctively shoot" will often insist they cannot see the arrow (frame) in front of their eyes and they in no way use it to reference.

There is no mysterious voodoo skill involved with instinctive shooting. It's not like the natural instinct that a cat has to hunt. Instinctive shooting is a learned process that we refine through much practice. Many prefer to call it "Intuitive shooting".

Webster definition - Instinctive - relating to or based on instinct : based on feelings or desires that do not come from thinking or learning

Conscious aiming with a slingshot relies on us using a reference point to align with the target. Often, but not always, there is a fixed anchor point as well. This style is very similar to what barebow archers use who aim. There are several difference aiming methods as well... gap shooting, face walking, indexing the fork, etc.

Instinctive shooting creates some confusion because we can become very good at it and never really understand the details. Lots of folks believe that "instinctive shooting" is a form of aiming that involves more of the subconscious. "The feeling" we get before releasing a good shot is from our subconscious being very comfortable with the way our muscles feel and how the visual in front looks at the moment we release the shot. We often know that a shot will be a hit or miss immediately after releasing. Sometimes we feel that our draw was short, or the band angle was off or the frame wasn't in proper position, or our hands were not right. Our brains will use whatever feedback it can to develop the skill and many shooters believe this also includes peripheral vision as we stare at the target. Other shooters will argue extensively that they cannot see the frame (or arrow) that is in front of them.

Every sport has those with elite abilities that almost defy logic. When I was a golfer I watched Tiger Woods make some shots that were absolutely amazing. Some pro-level baseball players are known for high batting averages. Some traditional archers do very well with instinctive shooting and perform amazing trick shots. Same goes for slingshots. Many have seen the video of the young Chinese guy tossing lighters over his shoulder and hitting them out of the air. None of this came without practice. They honed their skills but they also have very fast reflexes or above average peripheral vision or some other factor that puts them apart from the main crowd of competitors. It's always fun watching these amazing skills.

If you don't get the details that you want on this topic then jump over to the www.stickbow.com forum and search out the topic there. You will see a pile of passionate opinions, debates and suggestions. It never seems to be settled there so don't expect to get only one answer here.

I started instinctive shooting with slingshots back around 1992. A few years ago I learned to aim. It took me a lot of effort to get the aiming right. I gave up aiming many times because it felt so awkward. I'm glad I stuck it out. Now I can enjoy both styles of shooting.... and miss with either style.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I like to call it too, "intuitive aiming", to be exact :) I firmly believe that this is actually aiming, only done differently, by using more of the subconscious, as you said.
It took me the whole day today to manage to aim "traditionaly", meaning conciously. I don't know, something weird happens with my shooting, and I think it is because I am constantly tweaking minor details, so as to improve my consistency.
Oh well, the good thing is that at least I am improving, slowly, but surely. Just 5-6 more years shooting (or 20-30 lol), and then.....The World Cup will be mine ????

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
"Intuitive shooting" is probably a better label for it! IMO, the best gauge of an intuitive shooting ability is to hit a moving object or a penny flying in the air... those who can do that are the true masters, the rest of us just blip in and out of shooting intuitively.

Intuitive shooting is simply the body remembering alignments and automatically finding it to hit a target.

Intuitive shooting is target focused while aimed shooting is reference point focused. Hitting a moving target is probably the ultimate embodiment of the discipline as it is really shooting at what you see (watch moving). Doing it with a stationary target is not so difficult after a certain number of hours shooting because your mind-body "know" the targets...

If there is anyone who can shoot blindfolded, then yeah, maybe that would be "instinctive" shooting?

·
Banned
193 Posts
I recall some 50 yrs. ago there was a local blind man (head injury changing a split rim truck tire) who shot a 22 rifle and could hit every time. His son would pull a string on the metal target that rang like a bell and he'd let one fly right on target.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MakoPat makes a good point. I tattoo and I do this to hone and keep drawing. I close my eyes and think of something. A rose for instance. I draw what I see in my head.

In that that I'm sure there are other things that fall into that kind of thing. I know a guitarist who plays lead and can't read a lick or music and a drummer who couldn't begin to tell you how to play.

If it's working, don't mess with it. Personally I would get very Caradine about it. Give cryptic answers. Might as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been into archery since I was a little kid. I gave it up a few years back. I always shot a recurve bow - instinctive. I was pretty good. Walking around field shooting at unknown distances I could hang with the compound guys who used sights. At known distances I couldn't come close to their accuracy.

The method I learned was to focus on the target to the exclusion of everything else and trust your body to do what it needed to do to hit the target. This of course requires thousands and thousands of shots so your unconscious mind can make the necessary calculations.

When I took up slingshots a year ago, I aimed by sighting down the bands. In just a couple of months I was shooting more accurately with a slingshot than I ever could with a bow. I've played around with instinctive with the slingshot and I've had my moments.

That said, I'll continue to aim. I can't believe how accurate I am now compared to my archery days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts