Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a friend who is a hunter but who never hunted with a slingshot. Now he wants me to make him a slingshot and he says it would be used almost exclusively to hunt pheasants.

What setup should I make for him (I have only TBG) and what ammo should I recommend/make for him (I can cast lead balls)?

(If that matters at all, I have a nice, not-so-small natural fork for him and he will use it hammer grip).

Thanks in advance!

jazz

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For 9.5 steel and 8mm lead hunting with tbg I'd use a 30-25mm taper and for 10mm lead balls double 25-20mm taper, should give enough power to fill the pot for your mate ;)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks, Ukprelude, this sounds completely ok!

cheers,

jazz

What is his draw length?
73 cm (corner of the mouth)

cheers,

jazz

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
If he can't guarantee head shots, then I don't think that anything can beat 1/2" or 0.40 lead. A body shot with one of these monsters should be enough to harvest a pheasant. I know, I know, I always recommend 1/2" or 0.44 lead for hunting, but I do consider it the safest choice.
It does need some heavy bands to propel it fast though, so I would probably go for 0.44 lead. I haven't used TBG in a long time, so I am not sure what would work, but I would try a more "conservative" single band setup, 30/20 taper, and test it at 10-15m and adjust band power accordingly.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If he can't guarantee head shots, then I don't think that anything can beat 1/2" or 0.40 lead. A body shot with one of these monsters should be enough to harvest a pheasant. I know, I know, I always recommend 1/2" or 0.44 lead for hunting, but I do consider it the safest choice.
It does need some heavy bands to propel it fast though, so I would probably go for 0.44 lead. I haven't used TBG in a long time, so I am not sure what would work, but I would try a more "conservative" single band setup, 30/20 taper, and test it at 10-15m and adjust band power accordingly.
Hi skropi, this is also an interesting approach, thank you!

cheers,

jazz

·
Registered
388 Posts
What would be your opinion on 11mm (7/16)?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

7/16 lead I assume? Well, it is probably overkill. The 1/2" definitely is. That's why Matt suggests 8-10mm :) I guess it depends, but a skilled shooter shouldn't have any issues with 8-10mm lead, as I am not skilled and I successfully hunt with 9.5mm steel which is less forgiving! Mind you, I only hunt birds with head shots though.

·
Registered
388 Posts

7/16 lead I assume? Well, it is probably overkill. The 1/2" definitely is. That's why Matt suggests 8-10mm :) I guess it depends, but a skilled shooter shouldn't have any issues with 8-10mm lead, as I am not skilled and I successfully hunt with 9.5mm steel which is less forgiving! Mind you, I only hunt birds with head shots though.
Sorry I meant 7/16 steel it's bigger than 3/8 (9.5) but a little smaller than 1/2" steel

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
7/16 steel is nice and heavy, exactly my preference for hunting! Please do note that even though I prefer heavy ammo for hunting, I hunt almost exclusively with my target setup, shooting 9.5mm steel. That is because I take game opportunistically, and it mainly happens when I am target shooting.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
You will never need more than 10mm steel in the UK. I believe a lot of guys there are actually moving down to 8mm which does make some sense.

The fact is the largest game would probably be rabbit or pheasant - shot placement (head shots) is the most important followed by an adequate setup.

Its always a trade off

Light / fast / flatter shooting / light draw / potentially more accurate / could be affected by wind / less kinetic energy / more shots per pocket / less expensive

Heavy / slow / more drop / heavy draw / potentially less accurate / less affected by wind / more kinetic energy / less shots per pocket / more expensive

Personally is a money thing - I use ammo thats consistent, affordable and capable. In the Uk seemed 9.5mm steel was that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts