Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only on the FUG.

NO mater what I do, the band slip.

I even cleaned the fork tips with hot soapy washcloth,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
463 Posts
Without modifying the frame, do as AKA Forgotten mentioned. Lay down a wrap (or 2 if you are using amber belt) to give some rubber grip to the fork tip. Since that frame is HDPE, you might need to use a latex strip instead of the amber belt to keep it from slipping. And yes, still wrap a turn of latex strip, then lay the band on that and keep wrapping.

·
Neophyte
1,965 Posts
I like to start the wrap, do 3 wraps and then flip the tag end of the band up and continue the wrap. This captures the band and it stays put. unless you mean it is slipping from the frame as whole then I recommend the above putting down a few wraps of cut up old bands and using old bands as your wrap and tuck material, I have never had much luck with the other stuff. Just my $0.02 :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Without modifying the frame, do as AKA Forgotten mentioned. Lay down a wrap (or 2 if you are using amber belt) to give some rubber grip to the fork tip. Since that frame is HDPE, you might need to use a latex strip instead of the amber belt to keep it from slipping. And yes, still wrap a turn of latex strip, then lay the band on that and keep wrapping.
How many wraps? I was using a scrap .9. No slippage of the bands. The wrap material did not stay in place.

·
Registered
463 Posts
As many as it takes. There is no correct answer, just need to try different combinations until it works. But you might try something thinner as the wrap if.9 is too thick to stay tied.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,574 Posts
Sammy, I would ask how “tight” your wraps are ?

I do as Robert ( Raventree78 ) does, by laying 2-3 turns down on the bare frame first, laying the band on and lay down 2-3 more then flip up the tag ends of the band and continue wrapping until there is just enough left to tuck it.
I also pull my wraps to the max stretch I can get wrapping very tight to the frame….haven’t had any slippage yet, even on my HDPE frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mojave Mo
4,663 Posts
I myself am an ‘overdoer’ which usually leads me to problems down the road. Such as using SubFloor adhesive to hang a family photo on the wall. I’ve watched ALL of the band tying videos. If the author recommends 3” of material, I use 7”. When y’all are done tying on your bands I grab a second 7” piece of material and go over it again. On some frames it adds a little bit of added grip depending on how I am holding onto the frame. I don’t like my stuff moving around. Change is my nemesis.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sammy, I would ask how “tight” your wraps are ?

I do as Robert ( Raventree78 ) does, by laying 2-3 turns down on the bare frame first, laying the band on and lay down 2-3 more then flip up the tag ends of the band and continue wrapping until there is just enough left to tuck it.
I also pull my wraps to the max stretch I can get wrapping very tight to the frame….haven’t had any slippage yet, even on my HDPE frames.

Just as tight as I can. Sometimes I need 3 hands

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
If the wrapping isn't stopping it, then use a dremel in the groove with a cutting wheel and just lightly score few waves into the groove on the side that you attach the band too. Once the slippery hdpe is roughed up, there's no more chance for slip.
I use amber belt, stretched out completely tight under the band. 3 or 4 wraps completely covering the groove is enough. I have one frame that I had to modify or rough up the groove. You can see the scoring in the open groove but the wrap and tuck completely cover it when banded.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,574 Posts
If the wrapping isn't stopping it, then use a dremel in the groove with a cutting wheel and just lightly score few waves into the groove on the side that you attach the band too. Once the slippery hdpe is roughed up, there's no more chance for slip.
I use amber belt, stretched out completely tight under the band. 3 or 4 wraps completely covering the groove is enough. I have one frame that I had to modify or rough up the groove. You can see the scoring in the open groove but the wrap and tuck completely cover it when banded.
Great idea Reed, kinda like checkering a rifles buttstock

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update,

This Micarta black also slipped..

I cut SimpleShot .4 into strips, 7 inches long, started one wrap, then lay the band in place. this has a good stretch, laid down many wraps, folded band over, more wraps, then secured the tag.

No build up of layers, although they ARE there. Have not shot it yet.

Thanks all for the advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts