Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A military ceremony known as "Der grosse Zapfenstreich" was held today in front of the German Reichstag building in Berlin to honor the German soldiers for their role in Afghanistan. Start watching after minute 17 of the video, when the whole thing really gets going.

Here is what it is all about - a quote from Wikipedia:

"The Großer Zapfenstreich ("Grand Tattoo") is a military ceremony performed in Germany and Austria. It is similar to the military tattoo ceremony performed in English-speaking countries, and is the most important ceremonial act executed by the German federal armed forces, the Bundeswehr, and by the Austrian federal armed forces Bundesheer. The Zapfenstreich is performed only during national celebrations and solemn public commemorations, to honour distinguished persons present at such special events. Examples are the farewell ceremony for a German federal president, or at the conclusion of large military exercises. It takes place in the evening hours and consists of a military formation of at least one military band, two platoons of armed infantrymen, and two lines of soldiers carrying torches, in total about 400 men."

Maybe an event of interest to some among you.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
When I see people with torches I remember a sad part of my life.

Long time ago we went to try out a new restaurant (in Karachi, of course)... it was called "The Village".
Plant Property Light Building Door

Inside, you sat under huge trees, surrounded by plants and there was no light except for torches. I was fascinated... I liked it very much. And the food was GREAT.

Then my mother said, don't have the chutney. Why not? I asked.

Probably got bugs in it. That's why they got torches... so we can't see in this poor light.

I didn't believe her and ate all the chutney anyway... seemed fine to me.

Next time I went there, I took a flashlight with me.... and yep... chutney was full of bugs. Momma was right.

But as they say, "one man's bugs, is another man's protein...".

So when someone is waving around a flaming torch, I get mighty suspicious.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts