Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey all!

I'm a 17 year old guy living in the bay area (san jose) CA.
After watching top-shot on sunday, i decided to look into slingshots as a backyard pastime.
I'm something of an amateur marksman. i shoot/have shot (not with any consistency): shotguns, bows, handguns, throwing knives, rifles, pelet rifles, airsoft, and bb guns. I am an instinctive shooter myself, i tend to pick up something and be able to hit a target with relative accuracy, though i'm no pro. My main hobby is Archery, and i've got a nice KAP winstar II. However, the distance to the outdoor range, and times available due to work make archery a weekend only sport.

My only experience with with slingshots was a cheap wrist rocket i had when i was quite young, and i was never particularly good with it (i was 8 i think).
In any case, i'm looking to get into it, and get accurate. But i can't decide which slingshot to buy. I was looking at the Chief AJ quickpoint (red bands), mainly because that's what i saw on Top-shot. After watching his videos, it seems like a good slingshot. I was also looking at dankung models, but frankly, have no clue which to choose.

As for ammo, i'm not entirely sure what to use. i'm going to be shooting in the back yard, mostly. I don't have all that large a back yard, so i'll probably set up a backstop. I want to avoid damage caused by ricochets (windows and plant pots surrounding my yard). I'd also prefer something reusable... do glass marbles shatter upon impact? i can't say i've ever tried.

I'd like to keep it cheap, to start.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on which slingshot and backyard ammo i should use.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
welcom to the forum, first of if you want to keep if cheap marbles would be a good choice, or 3/8 steel ball bearrings. for a slingshot i would recomend buying from dankung or one of the companys on the forum. there are quite a few people who sell on the forum, if you go to vendor classifieds there are people who post there. there are also companies who have banners on top of the forum page if you click it, it will load you to their web page.

hope this helps, have fun and be safe

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Welcome aboard dnullify! There are alot of choices on here. Take your time and look around the forum for a while.

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
Hey all!

I'm a 17 year old guy living in the bay area (san jose) CA.
After watching top-shot on sunday, i decided to look into slingshots as a backyard pastime.
I'm something of an amateur marksman. i shoot/have shot (not with any consistency): shotguns, bows, handguns, throwing knives, rifles, pelet rifles, airsoft, and bb guns. I am an instinctive shooter myself, i tend to pick up something and be able to hit a target with relative accuracy, though i'm no pro. My main hobby is Archery, and i've got a nice KAP winstar II. However, the distance to the outdoor range, and times available due to work make archery a weekend only sport.

My only experience with with slingshots was a cheap wrist rocket i had when i was quite young, and i was never particularly good with it (i was 8 i think).
In any case, i'm looking to get into it, and get accurate. But i can't decide which slingshot to buy. I was looking at the Chief AJ quickpoint (red bands), mainly because that's what i saw on Top-shot. After watching his videos, it seems like a good slingshot. I was also looking at dankung models, but frankly, have no clue which to choose.

As for ammo, i'm not entirely sure what to use. i'm going to be shooting in the back yard, mostly. I don't have all that large a back yard, so i'll probably set up a backstop. I want to avoid damage caused by ricochets (windows and plant pots surrounding my yard). I'd also prefer something reusable... do glass marbles shatter upon impact? i can't say i've ever tried.

I'd like to keep it cheap, to start.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on which slingshot and backyard ammo i should use.

Thanks!
Marbles are the cheapest ammo. The dankung cougar is a great model. I have a quick point on its way to me. I would go with an A+, Dankung, or Saunders. If you want to shoot tubes I would go with Trumark or Cheif AJ.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Welcome to the forum dnullify!!!
There are a lot of great people on here!!! Enjoy using the search function as you can get a lot of your questions answered and learn a great deal that way.
Marbles will shatter if they hit something hard like concrete but not usually other things. I shot only marbles for years before I started shooting steel and lead.
I'm one of the vendors on the site, you can check out the A+ Slingshots website and products by clicking on my signature banner on this post. There are lot's of choices from quite a few vendors on the forum now. All have something unique and different to offer. Start small, and as you can why not start a usable collection... most do.... in fact it's hard not too.

All the best,
Perry

·
6,434 Posts
Marbles are the cheapest ammo. The dankung cougar is a great model. I have a quick point on its way to me. I would go with an A+, Dankung, or Saunders. If you want to shoot tubes I would go with Trumark or Cheif AJ.
"Which is better, flat bands, or tubes? I noticed that the Dankung Tubes are doubled over, whereas the Quickpoint has tapered single-bands that thread onto the frame. which is better/more accurate?
The quickpoint is the cheapest option, but if the cougar is better, i dunno."
I use flat bands on the cougar. The debate between which is better is always a matter of opinion. Generally flat bands are easier to pull back and just as fast (if not faster) than tubes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"Which is better, flat bands, or tubes? I noticed that the Dankung Tubes are doubled over, whereas the Quickpoint has tapered single-bands that thread onto the frame. which is better/more accurate?
I use flat bands on the cougar. The debate between which is better is always a matter of opinion. Generally flat bands are easier to pull back and just as fast (if not faster) than tubes.
[/quote]

I'm leaning towards the QP, just because it's easier to get and half the price than the cougar. Also, from what i've read so far, tubes last longer than bands.

Would i be able to kill rats and small rabbits with the red bands on the quickpoint? that's all i'd hunt with it, my priority is target shooting. We've got a rodent infestation at the house and traps don't seem to work. cheeky devils run along the fence, even when we're out in the yard - they don't seem to care at all. I was going to see if i could get a few with my air rifle, but i'm beginning to think a slingshot would be more agile (though it might take me a while to get good with it).

·
6,434 Posts
[/quote]

I'm leaning towards the QP, just because it's easier to get than the cougar. $20 pp, and i can't find the cougar for less than $40...

Would i be able to kill rats and small rabbits with the red bands on the quickpoint? that's all i'd hunt with it, my priority is target shooting. We've got a rodent infestation at the house and traps don't seem to work. cheeky devils run along the fence, even when we're out in the yard - they don't seem to care at all. I was going to see if i could get a few with my air rifle, but i'm beginning to think a slingshot would be more agile (though it might take me a while to get good with it).
[/quote]

Yes the quick point is much ceaper than the cougar. And you could kill rats with it for sure.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes the quick point is much ceaper than the cougar. And you could kill rats with it for sure.
How long do you think the Quickpoint will last, tube-wise? And is it easy to find tubes to replace the stock ones with when they wear out? They've got daisy and other brand tubes at the sports stores around here, would those work?

I know that's probably an advantage of flat-band shooting slingshots - that you can get some form of material locally like thera-band. but the slingshot itself is more expensive.

·
6,434 Posts
How long do you think the Quickpoint will last, tube-wise? And is it easy to find tubes to replace the stock ones with when they wear out? They've got daisy and other brand tubes at the sports stores around here, would those work?

I know that's probably an advantage of flat-band shooting slingshots - that you can get some form of material locally like thera-band. but the slingshot itself is more expensive.
[/quote]

You can get a pretty cheap flat banded slingshot too. OR even throw flatbands on a slingshot designed for tubes. The tubes you buy at the store will work on the Quick Point. Also I have not been able to find flat band material (like thera band) locally. I can only get it online.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

[/quote]

You can get a pretty cheap flat banded slingshot too. OR even throw flatbands on a slingshot designed for tubes. The tubes you buy at the store will work on the Quick Point. Also I have not been able to find flat band material (like thera band) locally. I can only get it online.
[/quote]
The qp doesn't have as much surface for the fingers on the Y-frame as, say, a dankung. Is that a disadvantage?

Is there a Cheaper dankung or other model that shoots bands and flats, that is cheap, and accurate? I'm beginning to realize that the QP isn't very versatile, but does that matter?

·
6,434 Posts

[/quote]

[/quote]
The qp doesn't have as much surface for the fingers on the Y-frame as, say, a dankung. Is that a disadvantage?

Is there a Cheaper dankung or other model that shoots bands and flats, that is cheap, and accurate? I'm beginning to realize that the QP isn't very versatile, but does that matter?
[/quote]

You could also check out the site vendors here. You can get an A+ PS1 for $25. That supports flatbands and tubes if you wanted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what about this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3a5d59086f

is there any store within the US that sells dankung models? Or alternative metal frames?
That one looks great. It would only support chinese tubes,
[/quote]
How come only chinese tubes? Is the gap too narrow? or do you mean the doubled over tube-style?

Would i be able to mount bands, maybe a set of Tex's bands on it?

is the accuracy pretty much the same between models, or does the slingshot really play that much of a part in accuracy?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This one is awesome for the price. Supports flat bands too. I might buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item1c14774c55
do you think the fork is too narrow?

which set tubes would be good for that "snow" one? i'm thinking about buying that one, as it doesn't look any more/less comfortable to shoot than a cougar or quickpoint.
Is there a way to attach flat bands to regular rounded loops without it slipping?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.