Slingshots Forum banner

Hey all!

5K views 48 replies 10 participants last post by  dnullify 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all!

I'm a 17 year old guy living in the bay area (san jose) CA.
After watching top-shot on sunday, i decided to look into slingshots as a backyard pastime.
I'm something of an amateur marksman. i shoot/have shot (not with any consistency): shotguns, bows, handguns, throwing knives, rifles, pelet rifles, airsoft, and bb guns. I am an instinctive shooter myself, i tend to pick up something and be able to hit a target with relative accuracy, though i'm no pro. My main hobby is Archery, and i've got a nice KAP winstar II. However, the distance to the outdoor range, and times available due to work make archery a weekend only sport.

My only experience with with slingshots was a cheap wrist rocket i had when i was quite young, and i was never particularly good with it (i was 8 i think).
In any case, i'm looking to get into it, and get accurate. But i can't decide which slingshot to buy. I was looking at the Chief AJ quickpoint (red bands), mainly because that's what i saw on Top-shot. After watching his videos, it seems like a good slingshot. I was also looking at dankung models, but frankly, have no clue which to choose.

As for ammo, i'm not entirely sure what to use. i'm going to be shooting in the back yard, mostly. I don't have all that large a back yard, so i'll probably set up a backstop. I want to avoid damage caused by ricochets (windows and plant pots surrounding my yard). I'd also prefer something reusable... do glass marbles shatter upon impact? i can't say i've ever tried.

I'd like to keep it cheap, to start.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on which slingshot and backyard ammo i should use.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
welcom to the forum, first of if you want to keep if cheap marbles would be a good choice, or 3/8 steel ball bearrings. for a slingshot i would recomend buying from dankung or one of the companys on the forum. there are quite a few people who sell on the forum, if you go to vendor classifieds there are people who post there. there are also companies who have banners on top of the forum page if you click it, it will load you to their web page.

hope this helps, have fun and be safe

#22 ·
Any opinions on the quick point?

yes, like i said dankung,bunny buster,A+, me(USA Slingshot), and flatband are the companies i would refer you to. from all of those companies you can buy a slingshot for about 30USD you could go checkout Fish, and performance catapults. they sell very nice and high quality slingshots but most of theirs will cost u a little bit more(i belive its worth it)

#3 ·
Welcome aboard dnullify! There are alot of choices on here. Take your time and look around the forum for a while.

#9 ·
"Which is better, flat bands, or tubes? I noticed that the Dankung Tubes are doubled over, whereas the Quickpoint has tapered single-bands that thread onto the frame. which is better/more accurate?
The quickpoint is the cheapest option, but if the cougar is better, i dunno."
I use flat bands on the cougar. The debate between which is better is always a matter of opinion. Generally flat bands are easier to pull back and just as fast (if not faster) than tubes.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum dnullify!!!
There are a lot of great people on here!!! Enjoy using the search function as you can get a lot of your questions answered and learn a great deal that way.
Marbles will shatter if they hit something hard like concrete but not usually other things. I shot only marbles for years before I started shooting steel and lead.
I'm one of the vendors on the site, you can check out the A+ Slingshots website and products by clicking on my signature banner on this post. There are lot's of choices from quite a few vendors on the forum now. All have something unique and different to offer. Start small, and as you can why not start a usable collection... most do.... in fact it's hard not too.

All the best,
Perry

#18 ·
That one looks great. It would only support chinese tubes,
[/quote]
How come only chinese tubes? Is the gap too narrow? or do you mean the doubled over tube-style?

Would i be able to mount bands, maybe a set of Tex's bands on it?

is the accuracy pretty much the same between models, or does the slingshot really play that much of a part in accuracy?

#20 ·
This one is awesome for the price. Supports flat bands too. I might buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item1c14774c55
do you think the fork is too narrow?

which set tubes would be good for that "snow" one? i'm thinking about buying that one, as it doesn't look any more/less comfortable to shoot than a cougar or quickpoint.
Is there a way to attach flat bands to regular rounded loops without it slipping?

#28 ·
#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
the first one says

Height: 125 mm
Width: 45 mm
Ply: 8 mm
Weight: 125 grams
Material: 304 stainless steel (100% guarantee Stainless Steel, NOT Zinc Alloy)

that shouldn't be too bad would it? Do you think it'll shoot on par with a cougar?

And what sort/size of tubes are preferred for target practice/rodent control here? Can it be had locally, or is it a specialty item? it shouldn't be too difficult to rig up on my own, the doubled-over construction, should it?

#30 ·
Welcome aboard dnullify! Lot of great information on here Bud. Have fun and learn the "Art of the Slingshot"
Flatband

#32 ·
Which makers sell for around $15.
I'd like to keep it cheap until i know that i enjoy shooting slingshots, as much as archery.

Also, say i wanted to attach flat bands to the above SS slingshot from ebay. Is it possible? Would it not shoot as well as something with a flat top specifically designed for flat bands?

I Like your work, and other's in the vendors page, but i want to know if i'll use it before spending money on a nicer shooter. But i still want something i can learn to shoot well on... bit of a dilemma really.

#33 ·
I say $15.00 because i've seen a slingshot listed for $15.00. Go to the Vendors section and look around. All of us there are passionate about slingshots and take alot of pride in what we make. Keep reading and you'll find what you want/need.

#37 ·
You can run a single band through the hole and tie it off below the hole on the stem of the fork. Then pull the band up and over the top to shoot. You can also shoot multiple bands the same way. I think you will be happier with a fork designed just for flat bands though. I shoot both types and it is a bit annoying to try and shoot flats on a frame designed for looped tubes. I've done quite a bit of experimenting in the past, like many, many of us have, and here is my "take" on it all:
1. Chinese style frames are great for looped tubes and shoot with power, speed and are more accurate than given credit for, but it takes a perfect release from the pouch hand because of the extra pull strength needed to hold at full draw. They just don't work too well with flats, unless it is a Cougar, designed for both.
2. Flat band frames will shoot flats and tubes equally well and both are attached the same way and pulled over the top.
3. Tubes are best when they are the small diameter type, like 1/16" ID x 3/16" OD, this size being the largest to work well, or (17x45) which is 1.7mm ID x 4.5mm OD. For me, this is only used in a four strand set-up. 20x40 tubes are very powerful in an eight strand set-up to shoot lead for hunting. Both rigs are considered strong pull and take a considerable amount of practice to be consistent in hitting the target. Just for target shooting, the 18-42 tube is very comfortable to shoot and still has enough zip to please.
4. Tapered flat bands are supreme performers for hunting or target shooting and my favorite is natural gum rubber with a thickness of 1/16". I like this type of rubber for target shooting because it shoots quieter than Theraband and is long lasting if tied properly. Theraband gold is the proven winner for hunting bands, but I still shoot the gum rubber cut with a taper of 1&1/8" x 3/4" for hunting and 3/4" x 1/2" for target shooting.
5. Other members have proven to me that multiple thin flats are faster than the same thickness in one band, but I am happy with any flat band of .050-.062 in thickness.
6. I don't shoot straight cut flats because I don't want to get hit in the face with a broken band and hopefully the band will snap at the pouch with a tapered band where it is the narrowest. I inspect the bands often while shooting to check for damage.
7. Wide fork frames, with an inside width of two and one half inches, don't wear out the bands as fast as narrow forks do.

#38 ·
Well, i bought a cheap steel chinese slingshot from ebay, just for experimenting purposes. won't come for 10 days or so though.

I figure, it is cheap enough that i can also pick up another cheapish flat-band designed Slingshot. I guess i'll have to wait on the vendors page to see if something in the sub$20 range that shoots flat-bands pops up.

#40 ·
You know I have one of those "Fake, Cheap" slingshots from China, shots just fine, hasn't broken, I've even put most of my 300 lb weight on it no problem...funny huh??? Of course I use the tubes that it was designed for and haven't tried to power it up. You know what else is strange one of the famous vintage forks (Killdeer) was also made of zinc imagine that... Now I'm not suggesting anyone go out and buy one but just because you read something on the internet does not make it gospel, if however you're planning on strapping hunterband on one and shooting 50 cal. lead shot I would really suggest you get something else.

#42 · (Edited by Moderator)
In my opinion, the 'fake' slingshot does not mean it can not sustain one-time big weight ,say ,300 lb . If so, the buyers must claim the refunds and the sells could never sell out one piece of it.

It means the metal of forks(some other cheap thing rather than Steel) is brittle and may breaks suddently by a common pull-forece in the future ,such as , the forks snap someday after one year when you are focusing on aiming or enjoying shooting...

it 's a kind of potential big damage. That makes me feel very horrible.

About the killdeer, its' made several decades ago without the Internet.
Its possible some guys injured by the broken forks, who knows?

In fact,some old killdeers sold at Ebay are broken or severely damaged.

Killdeer)

#43 ·
well I'll let you knw when mine breaks...I'm guessing after fifty+ years there wouldn't be many slingshots of any material that would would survive in undamaged condition...but there are exceptions

#44 ·
Hi
Just read the post from CRAZYSLINGSHOT .WHAT can i say over the last 4/6 months WE have taken 2 KILLDEAR and 1 DEERSLAYER
of U S A Ebay and they all have bean in fantastic condition for ther age.When the KLILLDEAR and DEERSLAYER were made the manufacturing of them
was for more advanced than most People out side the Casting Industry will know.At the time they were made ther was a shortige of premiere
metal do to the war effort so ZINC was the most readily available metal to be used.As part of our ongoing research we have taken metal samples from both the KILLDEAR and DEERSLAYER and carried out a metal specification independently both samples came back and to our astonishment ! both metals came back
with fantastic results .If the metal used in the manufacturing of these fantastic frames were to be used today we would have to use BS ZA1
a very good casting zinc alloy.In my Shot time being involved in the manufacturing of slingshots i have never been told of any one getting injured
by a KILLDEAR OR DEARSLAYER BRAKING?????.The Fake china slingshots that are on Ebay in ther hundreds are made from a low grade pressure die casting zinc alloy that is then copper plated then crome plated to give it a look of stainless steel.Even this plating process is incorect as the correct process should be Zinc casting -copper plate then nickel plate and last crome Hope this help clean up this one??

#46 ·
Hi crazyslingshot

Your concluesion would be incorect.Ther are more than 2 types of zinc casting alloy each as its own casting carictoristic
You have to have an informed objective to deside what one will best suit you casting reqierments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.