Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What with all the ways of shooting that I have been trying, My catch box is full of everything from BBs to 7/16.

So I built a sorter.

Took a tray out from under an old icemaker.

Put the ring from a canning jar on the outside bottom and marked the inside of the ring with a felt tip. Cut out marked hole.

Hot glued the ring to the bottom of tray.

Put a 17 cal bb in my mic and found a drill bit that was just slightly bigger.

Bored many holes in a matching lid. Put lid on bottle and screw bottle into attached ring.

Pour mixed stuff into tray and stir. BBs drop into bottle.

Repeat with lid bored with next size up. repeat ad nauseum until you get to the biggest.

Mistakes to avoid

1. there is a groove all around the inside bottom of tray I used. Ammo wants to ride around in that grove and not get over hole.

2. larger ammo wants to come to rest over the smaller holes. This necessitates lots of stirring and shaking. You'll figure it out.

Good luck my friends.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
You can sort ball bearings with two long pieces of 1/2 inch metal rod. Clamp one end 1/16 inch apart and the other end 3/4 inch apart. Then make the small end a little higher than the other end. Put buckets at the right widths and use a funnel to pour the balls onto small end. Something like this!

nKZX6EuvfiM

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
OK here is another use for those paper plates, you can cut about 1/4 of the formed side off and then fold in the middle to slowly pour balls onto the two rods. By the way broom handles will work also to sort. Just make sure that you can rotate them to get the sides parallel, because they are seldom straight.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes thank you..

Now I remember that we used to roll a pool ball up and off the table by using two cues. same theory sorta reversed. I have some oak, if I can cut it straight, I'll try to build something like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts