Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me just say hi.. I've been lurking here for a long time and decided to register tonight for a second opinion. Love the forum, you folks are buckets o' fun.

Ok, the aforementioned question goes as follows: What is the best way to attach flat bands to a vertical post? To make a very long story extremely short, I intentionally destroyed one of my wife's spatulas because I thought it showed the kind of.. er.. 'potential' that you fine people would appreciate (and my wife, most assuredly, does not). Seriously, it looks like a slingshot. I couldn't help it..

So should I just loop and tie like we do with the pouches and call it a day? That's what I'm leaning toward, but I'm kinda hoping someone here might have a better idea.
Thanks very much in advance!
~Notx

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Wrap and tuck method with a thin strip of rubber is probably the most common method people use. Quick, easy, effective.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Try this minus the tubes and protectors.

Hope it helps. It's a tight wrap that works with anything.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
This is how I attach flat bands:
First of all check the surface that the band will be layed across. You want to make sure there are no low spots in the center. Next lay the band on the slingshot where you intend to attach it and using a narrow strip of latex (or a cut rubber band) stabilize it with your thumb and pull the strip taught and begin wrapping. Whether or not there is a notch in the frame will help determine how many times you need to wrap. I usually wrap five or six times and then shift a bit lower and wrap a couple more times and then again, stabilize the band. Lay a looped string across the wraps and wrap again three or four times. Stick the strip through the loop, pull tight and then pull the loop out pulling the strip through the wraps. You don't have to pull it all the way, just far enough so that the strip comes under the wraps. Pull out the string and trim the strip.
Shifting lower after the first set of wraps and then wrapping again is something I started some time back after I had some well wrapped bands come loose. So far this technique has been bombproof for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. So far so good. I actually broke a band, but all four knots are still there..

Now someone sell me a psf or shickshot. I wanna learn this twisty-flippy thing!

Really though. For whatever reason, all my slingshots have failed in some way. I've tried various plastics and composites, stainless, wood.. If the frame doesn't fail, something else does. I've come to grips with the idea that 'a cloak and lightsaber does not a Jedi make', someone else should make me one so I can just focus on shooting. I can build cars all day, but cattys continue to stump me.

Thanks again for the tips. I'm not giving up, but being a craftsman is not enough for me. Gotta learn to shoot first for motivation to build a better mousetrap.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Ohh Ohhh! Go to ewetube and see Nathan's video on tying on bands(Flippinoutslingshots).
There are two that I found enlightening. 3G forktip and flatband tying. Super clear and easy to follow tutorial.
One of the best I've seen. Makes mine look like an "I pity the foo" chump. I would post it for you, but it's not mine.
Pawpawsailor sells some really nice pickle fork shooters. He's a VENDOR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts