Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Total newbie here - I think I did try making a natural fork one as a kid, but never got any bands on it, and was under the impression until recently that they were technically illegal here.
Having checked the local legislation recently, it turns out that commercially-produced "catapults", and any with wrist-braces, are classed as prohibited weapons (...which sadly puts paid to my dreams of a frosted-ice polycarb Hathcock Target Sniper from Bill Hays!), but homemade ones aren't... so DIY it is!
The immediate driver is that I have a feral parrot problem - an eastern-states fruit-eating species (I'm on the west coast) that has got established here from birds released/escaped from aviaries is displacing local species (due to nest-site competition) and creating nightmares for commercial and backyard fruitgrowers. (They've got all my grapes 2 years running, and half of them the year before that.) They're a declared pest species here, so I'm allowed to shoot them... and hopefully they will also taste good cooked!
So... I need to get accurate, fast! :)
Cheers, Liz

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi everyone,
Total newbie here - I think I did try making a natural fork one as a kid, but never got any bands on it, and was under the impression until recently that they were technically illegal here.
Having checked the local legislation recently, it turns out that commercially-produced "catapults", and any with wrist-braces, are classed as prohibited weapons (...which sadly puts paid to my dreams of a frosted-ice polycarb Hathcock Target Sniper from Bill Hays!), but homemade ones aren't... so DIY it is!
The immediate driver is that I have a feral parrot problem - an eastern-states fruit-eating species (I'm on the west coast) that has got established here from birds released/escaped from aviaries is displacing local species (due to nest-site competition) and creating nightmares for commercial and backyard fruitgrowers. (They've got all my grapes 2 years running, and half of them the year before that.) They're a declared pest species here, so I'm allowed to shoot them... and hopefully they will also taste good cooked!
So... I need to get accurate, fast! :)
Cheers, Liz
Welcome! And please report your findings. I have never eaten parrot. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you keep safe from the fires as well mate, i hear there is a bad one south of perth , cheers jas
thanks - yes, I know 2 families evacuated from that area, but both their properties were safe in the end. That one was started by the wheel bearing failing on some poor guy's boat trailer - he was apparently really upset!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.