Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I love this forum and have just been reintroduced to the world of slingshots. Like many of us, I grew up with Wrist Rockets and never knew the world of English-style catapults existed (flat-band, TTF, OTT,... whatever you might call them). I'm quick to jump on something better though and now I even dream about slingshots.

It took me a while, but I tried many different plastic frames until I found a style that suits me. I hold with a hard thumb brace. I like TTF-style asymmetrical frames with upturned handles. The raptor, or velociraptor, are prime examples. I find I like the upturned handle better than the down-turned. I like the symmetrical frames better than the down-turned ones.

I bought a plastic PPMG copy to start off with and really liked it, but it seemed to favor a pinch grip, and it had too much handle for me. I like to barely hold on with just my fingertips. I'm really glad I tried out different plastic frames before I bought something more expensive. I almost bought an actual PPMG right off. I'm sure it's a great frame, but, like I say, I decided asymmetrical with an upturned handle was the most comfortable for me. I just seem to shoot them better.

I bought an aluminum TTF Pigeon Popper from Pro-Shop. It's my baby. I can hardly put it down. I love it, love, love, love.

I live in the country. I'm a pine farmer, so there's plenty of room. I have all the shooting range I want and several different targets. I'm about to treat myself to a self-righting rat target for Christmas. I have a trap, a walking target, and one of those self righting ground targets.

Every day, I shoot three frames, a metal, an experimental plastic, and my Dankung.

Right now, my metal is the Pigeon Popper. I don't see that being replaced anytime soon.

My experimental plastic is currently a Raptor clone HDPE from eBay California. Waiting in the wings is a green, translucent Uniphoxx Wasp. After that, I just bought a Fugetaboutit from a guy I think you know. I try to stick with a plastic for a couple of weeks.

My Dankung is a giant 10 mm titanium one I bought years ago. It's always there. I'm thinking about putting plugs in it for flat band... we'll see.

Poster Font Circle Metal Fashion accessory

Azure Blue Bicycle part Vehicle Font

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,682 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, sorry... I use 9.5 mm 3/8" stainless balls

Until recently, I have used marbles. Unlike many, I really shot my wrist rockets (A Marksman Classic, no arm brace, I mean come on). My son and I have kept one on the porch forever. I was a regular at the Dollar store buying bags of marbles. I can't believe it took me so long to find REAL slingshots.

When I was first learning to TTF, I got a hold of a frame with a 4.5 Cm opening. Shooting marbles, no idea... It was fork hit heaven, not to mention a couple of good hand hits. The back of that slingshot looked like I took a ball peen hammer to it. I can't believe I stuck to it. I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

The marbles didn't help, but it was my right hand that was the problem. I wasn't holding the ball properly and I was keeping my hand clenched. I was all about ready to give up on TTF.

Can you imagine life without You tube? They cured me. I haven't shot a marble since. I must have a million of them out in the yard somewhere.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ha, ha, don't feel bad about the marbles, I am still using dried Garbanzo beans, very irregular shape so not very accurate - but no fork hits so far. Today I set up in my basement at 25' and actually hit my target twice in 10 shots. I am real proud of that. Now that i'm in the basement I will be trying out some 3/8 steel balls and hopefully not drill any holes through the wall.

16 Posts
Fork hits can be discouraging and even more so those nasty hand hits that draw blood. But for me that was all the more encouraging to stick with it and conquer the beast. Yes, finally figured out by watching you tube videos that the right hand holding the pouch that was the culprit. Only been shooting slingshots for a short while and still get that occasional fork hit when shooting through the forks but not very often anymore. Would be nice to have someone who knows what they're doing standing by watching each shot and get instant feedback in order to shorten the learning curve instead of continuing to do what I was doing and expecting different results.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts