Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,although i just joined today im restarting my interest in slinshots after a long break of a few years...please read further and add any comments which you think may help !
...i have 5 cattys all with different cuts,rubber types and activly change 2 or 3 every day, just about !...
4 months ago i started out with homemade tree forks , progressed by buying a basic OTT form and bands, and now shoot every day with various bands ...tapered,theraband (supposedly) silver,black,blue and some chinese rubbish which is heavy yellow,putrid orange and puky green.
i,m in a funky and frustrated point in my developent and need some help and the reason is the youtube goat "torsten"...
i have copied every detail as close as possible and still cant get the high speeds this wizard attains !..which is starting to drive me nuts.
im useing tb blue and black, cut EXACTLY like he tells us in his 2 videos, pouch is 45 mm x 12mm wide(super light),strongest cotton constrictor knots,no drag there, 7mm steelammo,size checked and scales say 2 grams...right?
OTT and 290mm long active length,butterfly style.
i cant get past 92.4 m/s (300 fps)...
so now i have arrived at this deduction or possibilities.
1...my chrony is misreading?..chinese crap
2...torstens chrony is misreading(DOUBT THAT)!!!
3.The band rubber is imatation and not theraband proper...(ebay chinese).
im targeting 125m/s but would be happy to reach 110 at this point in time....
has anyone a way of contacting torsten.???
tb gold red and more blue on the way from china via ebay at the moment for more speed trials....
to be fair the blue and black does have theraband written diagonaly accross it and looks relatively ok, and it would be sincereely bad luck if my NEW chinese chrony was misreading.
i set the chrony to 2 or sometimes 3 grams as a check/balance thing...with slightly different readings accordingly, so it looks ok....oh,and i have great eyesight too...jeez,i feel like its probably the bands themselves,can anyone reccomend a PROPER band supplyer, or is ebay and chinese suppliers ok...HELP HELP ?!!

cheers alpmouse

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jasling, im familiar with the name and have seen it reccomended but havnt tried it yet.
its an alternative to theraband , is that correct?...torsten says latex is a few percent faster too, but i have no idea where to buy just latex.
everytime i try on ebay i see only very thin stuff and the rest is similary coloured like theraband so i get confused and just bin it...
where does one buy pure latex ???????

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's better than theraband, there is many different thickness available. And with slingshot bands they have come a long way and are better than latex I would say and latex itself is not good in cold weather compared to bands made for slingshots and cold resident

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Torsten's draw and release was immediate and explosive, while maxing out his bands. If you are looking to follow him in this? You fold your sense of self-preservation and general safety into a neat package and put it in a nice safe place, (probably with your Will.) and follow his form. Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi and thanks everyone.
Flipgun...theres a truth to your statement !.
and during my tests from the very begining i,ve been super carefull and inspect the bands a little too much prehaps, this has kept my eyes in place so far and my keft thumb nuckle only lightly scarred...but thats nothing to do with tirsten....just my inattention...10mm steel nuts hurt !
im finding using douvle or treble blue to be the fastest and saftest ...multi bands give you a warning by parting at the pouch first (so far),so theres a ggood saftey factor i think.
my releases are quite quick and temretures around 20 deg c....so it must be the blasted rubber from china...
i,ll try GZK variants in the near future and see if that can lift the speeds up.
cheers
alpmouse

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi northerner
thanks for the info,im very aware of the fact that its better to use thinner bands thanks...
ive shot recurve,compound and longbow for many years and like flat trajectories.
It compliments my instinctive shooting better than slow drop off...
thats why im going for the speed thing...
i,ll post again when i hit 125 m/s or more..
If you convert 300fps its 92.4 m/s
torsten shoots 450 fps !!!...50% more !!!
THATS RATHER A LOT BETTER THAN ME !...
Now you see why i ask...
cheers
alpmouse

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks northerner, i just measured at 62 inches...and the double blue tb 20mm to 10mm cut 260mm long stretch out to this measurement with about 100mm pull left in them if i really expand out my arm....so shooting about 90-95% of the bands capacity and getting 300 fps...
something wrong somewhere eh...
ive tried 260mm 270mm 280mm up to 3 bands each side also with the 20 10 cut,25 to 7mm cut etc etc....
its got to be the rubber methinks...
i might try 40mm doubled over at the catty to fit, tapered to 10,12,15 and even 20 at the pouch.... with double bands,7mm steel ammo or 8mm steel and see what happens.
torstens black bands on one film look to be a different type other than theraband.
and lengths ive tried must of been near his too...as ive tried 260 up to 330 cut lengths.
jeez...what a mystery this is turning out to be.i cant find how to post a picture here...another mystery..
cheers
alpmouse

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks northerner, i just measured at 62 inches...and the double blue tb 20mm to 10mm cut 260mm long stretch out to this measurement with about 100mm pull left in them if i really expand out my arm....so shooting about 90-95% of the bands capacity and getting 300 fps...
something wrong somewhere eh...
ive tried 260mm 270mm 280mm up to 3 bands each side also with the 20 10 cut,25 to 7mm cut etc etc....
its got to be the rubber methinks...
i might try 40mm doubled over at the catty to fit, tapered to 10,12,15 and even 20 at the pouch.... with double bands,7mm steel ammo or 8mm steel and see what happens.
torstens black bands on one film look to be a different type other than theraband.
and lengths ive tried must of been near his too...as ive tried 260 up to 330 cut lengths.
jeez...what a mystery this is turning out to be.i cant find how to post a picture here...another mystery..
cheers
alpmouse

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks kalevala,and hi,

yes i have watched them thanks, technique is everything and all...i lose about 5 to 10 m/s by not following thruu or flipping the wrist down which is between 5 and 10% of the speed...its not so finite a problem really, but by doing so i lose that smoothness of shot, and get a slapping for my innatention too...
i wrote a message to torsten just a short time ago so i hope he gets it, although it may take a few months as hes not so active on the forum of late....probably fed up with idiots asking him band questions eh ???...????????.
just shot 338fps with the same double tb blues from yesterday which refused to shoot faster than 300 ....wtf ?
cut 20x10x260mm...
a mystery teusday indeed...
cheers alpmouse

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.