Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retired. Newbie slingshot shooter. Last time I shot a slingshot was a few decades ago. The tree fork diy with strips of bicycle inner tubes for bands. Remember not really hitting the target except on that lucky shots. Have enjoyed target shooting for a few decades. Target pistol ammo became a bit $$. Shoulders injuries from multiple crashes during the road racing cycling days and a few windsurfing dings have caught up with aging. Had to drop down to set of #25 limbs on the recurve bow. So giving slingshot shooting a go. Hooked. Might just retire the bow.

Trial and error "method" of developing any competency. First sling shot was a tube clinch model. Didn't care for the hand discomfort that developed during a longer shooting session. Picked up the Axiom Ocularis. Feels so nice. Also ordered a Pocket Shot at the same time. Can barely hit the "side of a barn" with it. Shelved it. Waste of $$s. Ordered a Hammer XT with LT fork. Found out I'm not a hammer grip person. Converted it into the NightHammer to deal with garden night raiders if they wake me up. Latest slingshot is the Scout XT. Like the fatter butt end, but still not the "perfect" ergo fit. Higher level of precision (ie, my misses are more consistent) and usually higher accuracy than the Axiom. The Scout bands mounted are lighter weight for shooting clay ammo. The Axiom & Hammer banded for the heavier 3/8" steel. Too lazy to switch out bands. My excuse for at least two slingshots:).

Shooting TTF. Haven't given OTT a try. So far, no fork hits or hand slaps experienced. ~1500 rounds of clay ammo shot at the indoor to outdoor range. Slide open the loft window and shoot at a ~8cm target hung on the fence at ~12M distance. Lost count of the 3/8" steel ammo used on the real target range. On the 3rd set of bands. Have settled on ~500% elongation. Picked up some bulk band material, a few precut of different weight and taper. The trial and error method. Just took delivery of some Warrior Apache pouches. Found out I don't like the real very thick leather pouches (Latigo leather from simple-shot). Purchased the Warrior Apaches looking for a pouch a bit thicker than the stock microfiber ones. I think the Warrior Apache pouch should meet my personal needs. Lots of trial and error.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome from sunny and HOT Georgia.....temp on the truck coming home today was 102 when I left work, and still 100 an hour later at home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks everyone for the warm reception.

66*F, raining today. Went from drought to "normal" in less than 3 weeks. Monsoon rainfalls or nothing for days. No wheres as hot as down South. Midday hot is when it breaks 90*F and our normally low RH rise above 60%. Normal high daytime temps can swing from mid 80's to mid 60's in minutes during the peak of summer if the wind shifts from offshore to onshore. Rain, grey, onshore breeze today. Lake Superior works as a temperature moderator. Warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer compared with just a few miles inland.

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Michigander! Near Grayling here, where are you?
Western end of L. Superior. Rural township on the eastern side of the Bayfield Peninsula . More in common with UPers than the rest of WI.

Very low population density. Don't think there are too many people that shoot slingshots around here.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like you pretty well have you bases covered. Good to have you.

PS: 116F on the patio in the shade yesterday. BUT IT'S A DRY HEAT!..My gramma's corset!!! We will have no more talk of heat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.