Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a nice surprise in the mail, 2 beautiful Brass Slingshots cast by Hogan and sons of England. Awesome work! The Killdeer looks like an exact clone of the original. I even rigged it up tonight with the standard bands that came with the original-5/8" wide Pure Gum Rubber and a 1" x 3 1/8" straight brushed cowhide pouch. I'll shoot it tomorrow. The other slingshot that was sent by Peter was a "Cherry Slingshot". I'm not familiar with this slingshot. I think it was an English design. I don't remember it from my old U.S. articles. If someone knows anything about it,let me know. I'd like to know what bands came standard on her when new. Will have some fun shooting this "Old-New friend'! The "Killdeer" was one of my most used slingshots as a youngster. I loved it! Flatband

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
can't wait to hear what you think. I know they look darn nice.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Once you send them a pattern, is it considered that they now own the design and/or can make unlimited copies, or would that be by express written agreement?

·
Super Moderator
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had that Killdeer Re-pro rigged up so I went ahead and shot around 100 rounds with her. BTW,sorry i didn't put amy photos with the post. I'll add them at the bottom of this one. First off let me say that pete Hogan and his sons are some real fine craftsmen. This Killdeer is just like my original (heavier -it's brass) and shoots great just like the original. When I used mine, I preferred 1/2" wide gum rubber(for the many marbles that I shot),the heavier 5/8" wide I saved for hunting with .38 and .44 cal balls (yes I used to hunt). I interchanged Scope-shot and wham-o bands(both 1/2" and used them on here. I haven't rigged up the "Cherry" Slingshot yet because I want to fibnd out what ype bands were originally on it-then test it. After 100 rounds shot I would have to say Pete and his crew nailed the Old Killdeer. It is a real super quality re-production down to the last little detail -(the running rabbit). Excellent work guys and I can't thank you enough for letting me be a part of your "Vintage Quest". It was great shooting her again. Made me feel like it was 1967 again and me with no worries in the world except finding more ammo! Hogan Castings Rock! Flatband

·
Super Moderator
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh Yeah, I forgot to say something else of some importance. When I shot my original Killdeer,I shot instinctively. I now shoot by aiming. These slotted type slingshots are usually difficult for aimers(especially the wooden ones)-not so the Killdeer. Due to the thinness of the prongs,you can easily line up your target on the edge and your in. A lot of other big slotted models,(Wham-o,Lohman,Bullseye,Delong Ranger,Pic Shooter,Huck Finn etc were thick and obscured the target. The Killdeer was and is one great frame! Flatband

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Great to hear that they shoot as good as they look, I haven't been able to find anything on the cherry if I do I'll let you know.

·
Super Moderator
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got another surprise in the mail today, this was a Cherry and Killdeer Slingshot cast from Aluminum and anodized black (or powder coated). Man, those guys at Hogan castings can pour a frame! These are so light. Too hot (96) degrees and too late to rig them up so tomorrow or the weekend will have to do. I'll post a picture. The hanging rings for the Anodizing tank are still on. Amazing lightness on these two frames compared to the brass. Man do I ever love getting slingshots in the mail. Brings back memories of a young Flatband eagerly awaiting the mail man for an expected package! Now I'm thinking that these guys might just be able to do a re-pro for the famous Boler Slingshot in Aluminum. That would be something! Flaband

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Flatband, those are just marvelous! As you know, Hogan made a casting in bronze of one of my slingshots and it was beautiful. Well, I liked it so much, I had them do a black aluminum one too of the same slingshot. It's gorgeous. Will post pics tomorrow when I get some sunlight for the camera.

I'm happy to hear of your re-acquaintance with the Killdeer, good story.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
WOW just WOW!!

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
That looks just right. Are more available from Hogan?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Were these anodized or powder coated? uh... looks like they were powder coated.
Just wishing to know...
Very nice work, anyway, you're a lucky man!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
man those are to sweet
i sent my little david slingshot to millbroboy little over six month
ago to copy an still havent got it back one of those in black would be
sweet i have only seen 2 mine an flatbands
i would be more than glad to send mine to them if i could get it back
a black one would be to cool

Attachments

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Jephroux, that's a sweet lookin' little catty, man. Agree, black ally would be the cat's pajamas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts