Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent post, I mentioned that I had rediscovered a love for my old Simple Shot Beanflip. I've been using it a lot lately, so I decided it could use a subtle customization. Nothing serious. Just some different color Ocularis plugs. But, as happens, while ordering plugs, I needed that extra little something to put my order up into the free shipping range.

In comes the Simple Shot Jellybean.
268d80b070bc4a7b82771f1d64bbacc6.jpg

d27e26f92e1a708d5de7da6d83b4f734.jpg

0549849c1dda3f28d272418d2f49b89e.jpg

9ec00018205434ca2bc862525486b7e9.jpg

It's a pretty neat little guy. I don't know if anyone else has one or has experience with one, but it's.... different. I like it. It's cool, it's small, it fits great in the pocket. But it kind of makes me nervous. This thing is borderline like shooting frameless when I hold it the way that feels most comfortable to me.

I'm not one to have many frame hits. I can probably count all my frame hits from last year on one hand. This thing though... gotta say I'm a little worried for the meat of said hand. I've put about 250 rounds through it so far without issue, but I still have that counterintuitive "You're going to shoot yourself dummy" feeling.

Does anybody else have this slingshot or something that you hold high on the forks?

I'm glad I shoot OTT. I don't know if my nerves could handle shooting this thing TTF.

·
Premium Member
3,498 Posts
My favourite frames to shoot have really low forks. In fact, most of the time I'm shooting you can't see the forks at all. I'm way more accurate this way because it's more like just pointing at the target. Instinctively your body know how to make a straight line to the target.

Saying all that....I shoot long draw, so I "speed bump" the shot around my face. So that also makes the shot clear the fork tips by a long shot so I never get a hit to the hand or the forks.

For my style it's perfectly safe and I feel very comfortable with it, but that's just me lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may really like this. I think you’re right Island. It’s just like pointing at the target. I usually shoot instinctually without really aiming, but it seems like I can use the knuckle of my finger almost like a sight.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Put your pinky finger in the hole. Even if you don't, you still have a good 1/2" down the frame. A lanyard will let you drop to a finger brace and get the aforementioned,"meat of said hand" a lil' further down. I'm gonna say, "I hope this helps!" But it won't. If you stay with us? You Will shoot yourself in the hand. Either the web of your T&FF or the knuckle itself. So far as we know, no-one has been crippled; So.. far... :imslow:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Anytime the index finger and thumb are close to the fork tips to minimize wrist torsion (better accuracy), there is the inherent risk of a badly released shot causing what could be a rather nasty injury - not life threatening, no, but nevertheless impairing for quite some time.

The (nicely shaped, but not very ergonomic) design of your slingshot does not really allow for it to be held safely near the forks. It just takes that one incident for significant pain to occur, doubtlessly followed by a rather vigorous swearing session. I have one or two frames wit the same holding issues, and know of the slight unease when shooting with them because of the manifest finger exposure. As George Orwell once wrote, "in the face of pain, there are no heroes"...I agree entirely.

This is why I generally prefer slingshot designs with well defined pinch-grip grooves just under the fork tips, as they do protect the index and thumb tips very efficiently by the fact that you can wrap these around comfortably - while successfully reducing wrist torsion. You may still get a strike on the still exposed index finger knuckle, but this is probably less likely and (hopefully) less serious than a direct hit on the finger tips.

The solution I found for this recurrent problem, particularly for people new to the sport, was to design a finger tip protection device that can be worn when shooting slingshots where the risks of finger strikes are higher because of their design. It is relatively simple to make using flat bars of 2 mm thick PVC, a power drill, a heat gun, and some screws with locking hex nuts. The finger attachment loops are made of leather with sewn velco patches.

It may not look as "cool" shooting your slingshot while wearing one of these, but it sure gives you peace of mind during shooting sessions when using specific slingshots that you really like. Waiting in the ER with a painfully throbbing thumb linked to internal bleeding or worse is not cool at all. :panic: :(

My 2 cents worth...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I'm a fan of low forks or alternatively holding high on the frame, I find it most accurate & eliminates alot of wrist fatigue as well. As a frameless shooter, I find the most important thing to clearing nice clean shots is having one clean line from pouch to fork tips to target. The more off centre the anchor point is from the eye, the more I find I have to compensate with my reference point. Frames like the Chalice, Mule, Colt & Torque just lend themselves to being gripped in this manner.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.