Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t you love it when you pick out a cool Natty branch and about 20 minutes in find one if these holes in it that goes on for who knows how far? Amazing what a little bug can do to solid oak.
Wood Trunk Tree Terrestrial plant Twig

I shined a flashlight down there and it looks like it just goes on forever. Maybe I’d be better off making a pipe this point? lol.

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A circle/hole is nothing more than a couple of arches set on top of each other and we all know how strong arches are! It probably doesn't weaken the fork at all. Why don't you try something no on has thought of before and fill it with some epoxy and turquoise powder:oops: for an accent? You might start a trend;)
Good point on the arches. At this point it looks like it might end up being more epoxy than wood. Eh, what the hell, think I’ve got an old two part syringe around here lol.

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I say make it a pipe, then you can be just like Portboy🤣
Lol ahh I just ended up chucking it back in the box and grabbing a different fork. Fortunately brother Skarrd sent me quite a few a while back to mess around with. Not that there might not be some glowy epoxy or molten lead in its future at some point. 😉
Darrell recommended some nice rasps to me so they’ll be plenty fun to be had as time goes on.

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That’s we call the wife lol . Your having to much fun time go home . Slow down haha joking with you
Funny story I cut branch in half so was dusty. I hit it compressed air pieces worm flying. Felt something wet hit me gross worms 🐛.
Oh, gotchya. That’s definitely pretty gross too lol

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ryan, don’t let a few little bug holes stop you in your bug tracks, lol.

Not sure if you recall the Redbud fork I posted some time back, but it had tons of holes.
The smaller ones I filled with turquoise craft sand thoroughly soaked with CA glue, and the larger ones I filled with wood shavings soaked in Titebond2 wood glue, packed and compressed with a 1/4” dowel rod over multiple applications till it was solid again.

Turned out very solid and one of the most amazingly grained forks I’ve done to date, so don’t give up brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darrell Allen

** SlingLyfe Band Up **
Boy that sure did come out pretty too, didn’t it?! Okay, I’ll put the holey fork back on the work tray. 😊

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
One option is to use crystal epoxy resin. You can buy it on Amazon for cheap. It is pourable and sandable. You could fill the hole and even coat or soak the entire fork.

Or you could just scrap it and start again😄
Thanks. Yeah I have some of that resin around here actually. I’m probably getting a little over excited about a bug hole but the ‘ole Inner Child was having a blast seeing where all the tunneling led so I honored it lol. I’ll try and think of something creative to do with the fork and more than likely I’ll fill it with some of that resin. I have a few pigments I can mix in too. I thought about immortalizing that grub in resin but he more appropriately got immortalized into the trash can.

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
side note-the ScrotumFangs dont seem to like the crepe myrtle,but DANG the Love the pecan more than the oak,,,,
I’ll keep that in mind. I haven’t gotten into the Crepe Myrtle yet. I was trying to remember what you said the other stuff was. I remember pecan (which this could actually be now that I look at it) but I’ve forgotten the other one. Thank you again though I’m having a good time with it.

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Personally if I end up with a fork that's going to require extensive work to save or is going to require a special trip to the hardware, I'll toss it and start on another. Lucky for me, forks are not hard to come by. Good luck.
I hear ya Jake. That’s one thing I wish we had more of around where I live are trees. We have trees out in New Mexico but within about a 30 mile radius of me I’d have an easier time making slingshots out of cow crap and car parts. Fortunately Skarrd had sent me these forks to mess around with a while back. This one with the holes in it was kind of a fun aside though. Never thought there’d be a cave system inside lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts