Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm a dedicated pfs style shooter and I have recently acquired some nice ttf and ott slingshots. I did not want to have any fork hits on my beauties. I recently saw some pinch pouches online and also on aliexpress which are suppose to help with a clean release and help alleviate fork hits.

Before I purchased a pinch pouch I decided to try an idea that came to me after looking at these pouches. I'm not sure if this was tried by anyone before here on the forums, but if it has, sorry for the re-post.

I made my pinch pouch from a pigskin warrior pouch, awesome pouch btw and thanks Berk!. Its real soft and pinches around the ammo real well. I used electrical tape, a small strand of the inner string of paracord, and the outer sheath of paracord for the knot.

I shot 3/8 steel and marbles with it since those are what I primarily shoot. And I was very happy with the results and no forkhits! I did not experience any delay in loading the pouch. I shot about 100 rounds. It works great!

Thanks for checking it out all!

Sling On!

Attachments

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
I like this idea. Do you think the concept will work for wider forks? I'm having a little trouble seeing how the ammo stays in there. I'll have to make one and fine out though!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like this idea. Do you think the concept will work for wider forks? I'm having a little trouble seeing how the ammo stays in there. I'll have to make one and fine out though!
Thanks for stopping by Mikey! Yah it should work with wider forks as long as you draw far enough. When you pull on the string, the ammo is pinched or sandwiched between the pouch. When you release, it will allow for a smooth even release. When you shoot with a plain pouch, the way you hold the ammo together with the way you release the pouch, determines if you will get a fork hit or not.

I wonder if this type of pouch would be allowed in competitions? Would this be considered cheating?

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
Like the idea but don't unterstand the need in your case.
You mentioned that you shoot pfs so i guess you are very familiar with the twist and tweak thing. So why to bring in a new variable that affects your shooting routine?
I shoot pfs the main time and when i switch to a normal wide gap frame i twist and tweak anyway.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like the idea but don't unterstand the need in your case.
You mentioned that you shoot pfs so i guess you are very familiar with the twist and tweak thing. So why to bring in a new variable that affects your shooting routine?
I shoot pfs the main time and when i switch to a normal wide gap frame i twist and tweak anyway.
Thanks for checking it out Bootsmann. Yah, it's my own personal preference. I just want to be able to shoot all ways without getting any fork hits. I've decided my dedicated pfs shooting will be done holding the frame in my left hand. Regular OTT with no twist or tweak and TTF will be done with the frame in my right hand.

I also found when I twist and tweak with a normal wide gap, I found my shots were low. When I adjusted, I didn't have a clear sight picture. The fork tip would cover my target. I wasn't enjoying my normal wide gap slingshots I acquired. I also didn't want to have a fork hit on my frames. This type of pouch helped me with the normal wide gap frames and with my sight picture. And I enjoy the normal wide gap frames with the challenge of shooting them with my off hand. But that's just me. Hopefully this type of pouch or others like it will help others as well.

Sling On my brothers and sisters!

·
Premium Member
9,607 Posts
Thanks for stopping by Mikey! Yah it should work with wider forks as long as you draw far enough. When you pull on the string, the ammo is pinched or sandwiched between the pouch. When you release, it will allow for a smooth even release. When you shoot with a plain pouch, the way you hold the ammo together with the way you release the pouch, determines if you will get a fork hit or not.
I wonder if this type of pouch would be allowed in competitions? Would this be considered cheating?

I don't think it would be. Don't Spanish shooters use something like this already?
Dude I've got a ton of questions cause my release SUCKS! First off has it improved your accuracy?is the ammo staying in ok?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ibojoe, thanks for checking it out! I wasn't aware Spanish style shooters have them. Thanks I will look into it!

Questions? Awesome fire away bro! It has helped me with my accuracy because it allows for a smooth even release. Since you are an archer I think it would be easy for you and help you. The ammo is held in real well. I made an updated version because the paracord knot was giving me a blister. I will post new pics and a video soon!

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
Do it! I'm very intrigued by the idea, and would love to have a closer look at your attachment method. My initial attempt caused too much warping on my pouch, but that may just be due to the quality of leather I'm using.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
I've seen this idea a few times over the years... Skropi was the last to explore the concept before this one... and I've got to say, I think the idea has legs.

But I'd probably do it slightly different than ya'll though... starting with an extra-extra long pouch, I'd fold it in the middle and either sew or staple it so there'd be a tab at the back.

Also, it would be perfectly legal to use this in a tournament... the rules don't specify pouch type, just hold back devices, such as releases and the like.

BTW, I'm visualizing a speed loading pouch using this technique... you can seat the ball in the pouch with the index finger and already have a grip on the tab with the thumb and middle finger... load, pull and shoot in one motion!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts