Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after breaking the silicone spinners and many many other targets i finally managed to make some that will last me hopefully a lifetime. I cut them from a 24 Guage steel plate then painted and stuck on furniture floor pads. (I paintedthe pads red so I can see them in my shot box, my backstop and the pads are both tan.) There are some in process photos and some front/back of the steel without the pad and the front/back of one with the pad.

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ill keep this in mind, thanks for sharing. Ive cut carpet like this before.

You dont get that really rewarding ping sound we all crave. Just a satisfactory thud. Which is a good trade off for not having to replace our spinning targets

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These ping well its very satisfying to hit yiu get that distinctive ding sound and which it spin fast. Also if yiubalready own the tools to cut the metal they can be made for like 20 dollars

·
Registered
94 Posts
That’s pretty cool with the steel behind me the furniture pads. I made mine with just the pads and already ripped two apart because of my attachment point was too thin.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried wood at first but it would split after a few hits. And I could figure out how to reinforce been cans, but these so far have taken a few hundred hits already and are still good.

·
Neophyte
1,997 Posts
Nice targets, looks like they will take a beating :)

Reactions: Tag

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
The rubber ones are also heat sensitive. Just cold enough and they start chipping.

Those are cool. Got some furniture pads - may give that a erm... a spin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried wood at first but it would split after a few hits. And I could figure out how to reinforce been cans, but these so far have taken a few hundred hits already and are still good.
Thanks for the tips. In the meantime, I am thinking to use wood, too.

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
The rubber mudflaps used on “Semi’s, tractor trailers, and dump trucks work great” I usually buy them at an automotive store, but with as many grain trucks that are around here we get used ones for free. Most of the time I buy them, not fun to clean used ones. I cut them with curved tin snips. Cutting them with tin snips also builds strength in your pouch gripping thumb and index finger

·
Registered
182 Posts
Maybe I just don't hit the target as much as you guys but the SimpleShot targets I bought a year ago and sit out in the sun all day are still holding strong. I've been playing around with the idea of making some steel ones for that sweet sound. The rubber THWACK isn't as satisfying to me as the PLINK...... Although my neighbors probably prefer the former. :rofl:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I made mine from some scrap thick gasket material from a local shops who threw them out in the bin. Realized the gasket material is actually made from thick Nomex material. Being hitting the target for hundreds of shots and seems like Nomex is taking the beating really well. Will post the picture sometime soon how it look like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As promised, the home made target with Nomex gasket materials in black and orange one is silicone gasket material. Brown one is the leather glued on to silicone to dampen the hit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts