Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
So this time I wanted to make one with a light colored outer wood for the fork (all the others I've made have been dark wood on the outside which is a better contrast against a white target) ... used maple & it sights fine - actually better contrast on orange spinners. I was just about ready to glue on the palm swell & thought for a minute - what can I do to make it heavier, and thus a bit more stable as target pistols have heavier barrels to minimize wobble - figured it might work on a slingshot. So I hogged out a cavity in the grip before I put the router away & filled it with lead before gluing on the palm swell. I had no idea how much weight that little cavity would add when filled with lead - it's remarkable really how much heavier the finished slingshot is than the other similar ones I've built lately - not a little heavier, a whole lot heavier. I can't say I'm shooting it any better, but I think it will help once I get used to it ... anyways, here's some pics of the build and finished slingshot (cherry wood for the core, maple outers with a walnut palm swell) -->

Nh8akjR.jpg

DOfoV2S.jpg

JLe4rue.jpg?1

GyvmNfD.jpg

9vnOgp8.jpg

xBo6SMK.jpg?1

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That looks great! Throw it on a scale, you've got me curious about how heavy it ended up being :headbang:
Thanks everybody for the feedback.

I pulled out the postage scale and the slingshots I've made recently range from 2-5/8 ounces to 3-3/8 ounces. The lead filled grip one above weighs in at 5-3/8 ounces. Doesn't look like that much by comparison, but it's dramatic if you do a side by side comparison...

·
Registered
392 Posts
That's a gorgeous slingshot! Excellent work.

Looks like your case of slingshot addiction my be irreversible. LOL!
Yep, I've been shooting so much the last month or so, I'm getting a gnarly callus on my index finger & the thumb is in full blister mode & my wife thinks I've gone 'round the bend with all this slingshot shooting & building - LOL. Good clean cheap fun I tell her ... she just rolls her eyes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.