Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooting the Tiny Turtle made me want a more regular OTT version of it, so I upsized and modified the design for a DIY build. As homage to its evolutionary roots, I've been calling this my "Snap-Jaw Turtle" :)

Dimensions
W x H: 79 mm x 117 mm
Fork Gap: 35 mm
Fork Tips: 22 mm
Thickness: 20 mm

The fork gap is still small and I hope I'll manage but it's a similar gap with many of the little Chinese slingshots I have been shooting of late so I think it should be okay. In order to maintain the congruence of its flowing curves I didn't cut any band grooves but left only contoured recesses at the tips to keep the band ties in position. I've put some rounds through it and am confident it holds. Straightening out the handle a little created more room to grip without the need to increase the handle's length by much. A pinky-hold was added as it seemed natural for the frame. Building this for myself, I shaped it for a right-hand hold. It's no bigger than need be for me and pocketable.

The wood is a really cheap Nyatoh that I found at a lumber yard and the part used on shooter side has a subtle quilted figure that lights-up under bright conditions. It was a lucky find for an inexpensive and usually boring local hardwood. I wish I used it for both sides. I gave it a phenolic core and vulcanised paper liners for a measure of safety.

This was my first time pinning and peening. I doubt the pins were really needed but I wanted to learn how to install them. I did a rather rookie job and have a bit of tear-out at one of the top pins that happened during sanding (and I think I know how to avoid it next time).

Thanks for taking a look :)

aa3a16fb21c6fbc1319ba6391c527c64.jpg
e238ee6310e00eaa4b2b6356e8dff989.jpg
d689134c0f21119f0070df6f7cb25f8e.jpg
9af17b5acd9082cff2ceec680367ee6a.jpg
6b6404ba8ca26fa41dc1f9026b128a7e.jpg

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@devils son in law, @Mattwalt, @Covert5, @ibojoe, @Sharker, @ghost, @Alfred E.M. - Thanks again for the encouraging comments!

@Flipgun, @KawKan - thanks guys! I just changed what made sense for my hand and it was also a bit of an experiment and learning experience to understand what works for me. My hands are small so this happens to be good for me :)

@MakoPat - I like Gappers and Turtles too! Thanks!

@skropi and @Mojave Mo - There are many master craftsmen here and I know my lowly place - I'm just a novice hobbyist. Some of the slingshots built by the true master-craftsmen like Sharker are so beautiful they shouldn't be legal!

Building something with my hands and having a slingshot I can shoot at the end is rewarding enough as it is... but having like minded folk here to share it with is the real icing on the cake!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts