Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to visit Hoover Dam over the weekend. The security officer screening all the cars so I jar of 6mm Steel balls in my car. He asked if I had a BB gun. I said no, so he asked why I had a jar of steel balls. I said I had a slingshot. He then direct me toward another security officer. That security officer asked why I had been sent there. He asked if I had a gun or a bow. I said I had a slingshot. He shook his head He then said. “are you kidding me?” He then sai, “well I guess the other security guard doesn’t want you to see the Hoover dam.” He Took down my license plate and had me turn around.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So lame,...but perhaps you could have offered to leave your slingshot (and "balls" :) with security, to be picked up on the way out? Seems a reasonable solution,... to avoid the possibility of a slingshot owner going berserk on the dam or wildlife. I did similar once time when I went through a NY County Courthouse screening, and had forgotten a small pocketknife I had on me. I left it with the screener, went to the County Courthouse to file some paperwork, and retrieved the knife on the way out.

Joe T

Ti Rod Tactical

·
Registered
443 Posts
Dang :(

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I've lived in Arizona 11 years and have not been to the Grand Canyon because of the same kind of nonsense. I realize people are just " doing their jobs" and have to be on guard against " terrorists".Maybe he thought you might shoot a hole in the dam causing it to leak.

·
Mojave Mo
5,166 Posts
Ironically, one single 6mm steel ball making it's way through the hydroelectric turbines would cause a hyper-mythical devastation of the turbine blades this fracturing the dam, leaving Vegas in the dark and a wall of water rushing towards Lake Mohave.....maybe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
As hospital maintenance, we also do security for 3 hours till they arrive. One thing we do is check a persons belongings in the ER if they are going to be admitted. We take pocket knives and put them in a safe till they are discharged. Nobody checks all the people walking thru the front door off the streets though.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
That sucks man. I've been out there in 2016, and theoretically you could chuck something off the dam and hit someone below at a few spots. It does seem drastic though. I accidentally took my pocketknife to the world one trade tower (or whatever it's called) in NYC and security just gave me a ticket and I picked it up later. Do the same thing at the city courthouse.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I usually just swallow all my contraband ammo and "retrieve" later to avoid such conflicts.
My grandfather snuck a gold pocket watch out of a POW camp using the same technique ;). It took 7 years, but it was a family heirloom.

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
...so he asked why I had a jar of steel balls. I said I had a slingshot.
You answered a straight-line question with a straight-line answer. Straight-line questions are invitations to play, especially when they come from non-elected government bureaucracies, and are best answered with imagination:

"Oh, those aren't steel balls, they're my great uncle Efrem. He was one of the steelworkers who originally constructed this dam. We had his ashes mixed with these bearings as they were formed- per his wishes. He was so proud of his work here..."

Not only would you have been permitted entry, you may have gotten the VIP Tour- and been allowed to keep your balls throughout the experience.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That sucks man. I've been out there in 2016, and theoretically you could chuck something off the dam and hit someone below at a few spots. It does seem drastic though. I accidentally took my pocketknife to the world one trade tower (or whatever it's called) in NYC and security just gave me a ticket and I picked it up later. Do the same thing at the city courthouse.
Freedom Tower renamed Tower One. All steel erected by Ironworkers Local Union #40.

I'm surprised that security there didn't confiscate your knife...or tell you you couldn't enter.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Most of the time these rules are in place even for smaller or petty stuff because if irresponsible people I deal with this kind of stuff at work all the time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts