Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
Yeah, you read right. I recently did some searching for any new Elastomers on the market.

This is a little hobby of mine-finding new and improved rubbers for slingshots. Every few months I search out companies involved with the development and marketing of new high tech materials.

I found a company that works with Fluorocarbon, polymers, silicone, urethanes and other manmade rubber types. The one I found that lit me up was a 2 part liquid that you would pour into a mold and then let cure.

The specs were unreal on this stuff. Tensile strength was within our parameters for bands, chemical resistance wasn't all that great,U.V was good. Elongation at break was around 5000%-UNREAL!

Not only that but the RTF ( Return to Form ) was acceptable to me being around 90%. As an example, you could stretch a 6 inch piece of this stuff to around say 3 feet ( for example) and when you released it the 6 inch piece would be around 6 3/4-7 inches.

That's very good. I have natural rubbers (12 inch start ) that when stretched come back to around 12 1/2"s. Anyway, I contacted this company and asked for a small sample. They said they no longer give out samples. ( many companies do this now ).

So i asked them for a price for a small piece. They came back with a "cured" piece 6"s x 6"s and 2 mm thick. I said that sounds good, send me a price quote. Price quoted $50 and $35 shipping( Jeez! )-and the product code wasn't the same.

I'm still trying to find out whether the product they quoted me ( which wasn't even listed in their product inventory ) has the same elongation factor and other specs as the original product I inquired about. ( why do these companies make everything so difficult? ).

At any rate, I'm not finished with these guys. Can you guys imagine putting a set of these on a big Starship and the possible speed attained? I'll keep you guys posted. :D ( I know,I'm still crazy about this stuff! ) :screwy:

·
Neophyte
2,119 Posts
Wow the potential, the fun that could be had :)

Reactions: Flatband and Tag

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Actually rubber is the one place where massive advancements can still be made - if this stuff is as god as it sounds - thats going to be a huge step forward...

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried to get more information on this product and others. Mostly all the companies I contacted do not have cured samples of their different products. I find that very-for lack of a better word-STUPID!.

They sell their products in anywhere from 5 to 55 gallon drums, they usually have two parts that you mix and put into a mold. These formulations are very expensive. I did get a few cured samples.

Short lengths of tubing and some small thin sheets-totally artificial elastomers ( fascinating ) but they either broke or were too soft for our use. I love the fact that these polymers and fluoroelastomers are totally artificial -no natural rubber in them at all!

I will eventually find something. The products are out there. I just don't have pockets deep enough to experiment with a bunch of them. 10 years ago Melchior from "Slingshots of the World" Forum found Vulcollan doing a search for elastomer sheeting.

Vulcollan is a pretty good (artificial) slingshot rubber made from Polyurethane. Someone else found Linatex on a similar search. Linatex is a very good Latex mix used for mining applications-and successfully as a slingshot power source. We'll keep looking!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts