Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, one of the hardest things to figure out is how accurate I am. This is by its nature a comparison. I know how accurate I am, I can figure that out myself. But how do I compare to others? I could enter competitions, but I have two problems with that.

One: There's not any organized slingshot activity in my state (Colorado) that I can find. Can't even find any in states close to me..

Two - I really don't want to do the competition thing. I competed in tennis for many years. Burned out. Don't care to compete.

So, I thought of this. Post your distance, your target size, and your percentage at hitting that target. I'm not looking for advanced mathematics here, just your own estimation. Just as a "rule of thumb" comparison.

And pretty please with sugar on top, no lectures about what I should be asking or doing instead of this. If you don't want to participate, move along, with respect. I just would like to have a comparison. I think others might like that, too.

Here's mine:

Distance: I shoot at 13 meters. Why? Because it suits the setup on my property.
Target Size: I typically shoot at a 2.25" diameter silicone target.
Hit Percentage: I hit it about 70% of the time.

Thanks in advance for your responses. I hope to build a useful thread here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good post

You do need to specify
1. Projectile type, weight, calibre etc
2. Slingshot type, design, band strength etc

One cannot compare apples to oranges

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good post

You do need to specify
1. Projectile type, weight, calibre etc
2. Slingshot type, design, band strength etc

One cannot compare apples to oranges

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Are these stats necessary to my purpose? I don't think so. I don't really care if you shoot rocks, BBs, or cannonballs. I'm just looking for anecdotal accuracy.

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
That is a good post. I'll start tracking my shooting and accuracy. I've been shooting not just to be shooting but to improve my accuracy. I've not kept a tally of my hits and misses....but I know my hits on a small spinner are more less frequent than my misses.

Does it really matter what bands, frame or ammo size I am shooting if I'm shooting from 30+ feet. I certainly do not expect someone else to shoot the exact slingshot, ammo and bands as I do in order to compare apples to oranges. Does it really matter if I am shooting apples or oranges?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a good post. I'll start tracking my shooting and accuracy. I've been shooting not just to be shooting but to improve my accuracy. I've not kept a tally of my hits and misses....but I know my hits on a small spinner are more less frequent than my misses.

Does it really matter what bands, frame or ammo size I am shooting if I'm shooting from 30+ feet. I certainly do not expect someone else to shoot the exact slingshot, ammo and bands as I do in order to compare apples to oranges. Does it really matter if I am shooting apples or oranges?
No. Doesn't matter at all for the purposes of this post. Apples, oranges, doesn't matter. Distance, target size, percentage. This post is about accuracy, however you achieve it.

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
Good post, I haven’t been using any certain size or type of target lately. Slingshots are my way to remove all stress in my life, so I switch targets up quite frequently. I get my cataracts removed this month, so I will definitely track my accuracy then. I think your idea is definitely a fun and beneficial way to actually see how much accuracy has improved.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I must disagree with the majority here.
Comparing accuracy (by any definition of accuracy )of the shooter, requires that other variables be controlled as far as possible.
Since the variables of :
Projectile, shooting technique, band strength are all variables that can affect "accuracy", the only reasonable way to compare the skill of the shooter is to eliminate other confounding variables or, at least, to mention those variables in the description of the poster's accuracy.

In the absence of those descriptions I could easily state that I achieve and accuracy rate of 100%. Of what value is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
The item in question is valid without the known variables of frame, bands, and ammo. It is a query into only accuracy. How many times hit/ number of shots made. And one cannot claim 100% accuracy without hitting target(size relevant) from distance known at X%.
The man is asking only one question...

I am at (on average) 50% at 33' on a 4" target or 10 oz. can. A huge improvement from 4 months ago.

Edit- although yesterday on camera shooting test for ISCOR I hit 10 out 25 shot twice. Nerves or extra distraction... or both. Still happy with my progress.

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
And pretty please with sugar on top .....no lectures or list of shoulds.

If all the variables were mandatory then the slingshot tournaments including the recent world tournament in Italy are invalid. I doubt that there will ever be a tournament that requires all contestants to shoot the same frame using the same bands and ammo and shooting with the same technique. Not going to happen nor should it happen.

Now here I am responding to the one negative poster instead of keeping it positive as Tag points out in another topic. I noticed when I first read this topic that even though he specifically asked for no further commentary on the criteria he still knew it was bound to happen anyway. And he was proven to be correct.

I have been positively affected by this post myself in that I am now putting a cardboard behind my spinners to help me see just how much I am missing by. It has helped. I was hitting the spinner more often than I missed it this morning. Next, I'll be rigging up a clipboard with a chart to log each shot hit or miss and have a percentage comparison. I'd be thrilled to get to 70-80 percent but certainly not satisfied. Regardless of what frame, bands or ammo I am shooting I know it is achievable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I usually shoot about 35 feet at cans hanging from a string 3x41/2 inch cans have noticed that if I get to hitting a high percentage say 80 percent or better I would get bored and stop and on days that for some reason I wasn,t doing good at all because I had changed leather or tubes or just was off for some reason I would stay with it and keep shooting . I found a cure that seemed to work I would hang bottle tops over to one side then would see if I could hit those if I was whacking those cans too much! Still not as much fun as bending up a can!! WS

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
I must disagree with the majority here.
Comparing accuracy (by any definition of accuracy )of the shooter, requires that other variables be controlled as far as possible.
Since the variables of :
Projectile, shooting technique, band strength are all variables that can affect "accuracy", the only reasonable way to compare the skill of the shooter is to eliminate other confounding variables or, at least, to mention those variables in the description of the poster's accuracy.
In the absence of those descriptions I could easily state that I achieve and accuracy rate of 100%. Of what value is that?
Uh... what?
If there's a band/ammo/frame combo with which you shoot 100%, I would shoot that.
If everyone sees you always hitting everything then they might want to try it, too.
I've seen pretty much everyone who matters to the "who's the best shooter in America " discussion shoot in person. They all shoot something different and they're all great and none of them ever shoots 100% on targets that present a challenge to talented shooters.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts