Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a $5 Chinese SPS-like resin slingshot that I am converting to 2050 tube rubber. I have filled the rubber band slot/hole with epoxy structural filler and I have widened the fork gap by about 1mm on both sides and I have improved the "trough" to take whipping twine.

The 120/150 grit sandpaper work is not pretty, how can I improve the look?

The 1st pic shows the slingshot as bought and the 2nd and 3rd pics show the conversion.

The unchanged parts have a velvety matt finish that is nice to hold, so I don't want to make the whole thing shiny and slippery.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
While I am not sure it is worthwhile to put so much elbow grease into a cheap shooter, if you really want to work it, it's a process of sanding and polishing. Sand to where you are happy - I would probably wet sand to 1500 with a bit of soapy water as lubrication? Then polish with a cutting/polishing compound and finish with a good buff using a paste wax. The lazy way would be to sand it a little then spray on some Plastidip and you will get a tacky grippiness (but it will eventually delaminate)...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What Old Joe said!

Go over it with 220, then 400 and you will have a very different look. It will still have a good, tactile feel. The heat gun works well to add gloss on HDPE shooters. I'd make sure you have good ventilation though.
Thanks! I even have wet sandpaper up to 1200 grit!

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
While I am not sure it is worthwhile to put so much elbow grease into a cheap shooter, if you really want to work it, it's a process of sanding and polishing. Sand to where you are happy - I would probably wet sand to 1500 with a bit of soapy water as lubrication? Then polish with a cutting/polishing compound and finish with a good buff using a paste wax. The lazy way would be to sand it a little then spray on some Plastidip and you will get a tacky grippiness (but it will eventually delaminate)...
Re "While I am not sure it is worthwhile to put so much elbow grease into a cheap shooter", I'm sorry, but I do not agree with you here.

Its value to me has nothing to do with its price. It is a light, compact, superbly tactile design that has the potential to shoot as well as any expensive "bling" slingshot. I really like it, I have ordered two more.

My tree forks are even cheaper, but I spend a lot of time on those too. :)

Sorry, I had to say that. But many thanks for your advice, I have decided to do exactly as you say. I have all grades of dry sandpaper and up to 1200 grit wet sandpaper and I am looking forward to doing it. After the wet sandpaper, maybe the polishing compound and a little wax polish, but I want it all to stay matt and grippy, not shiny and slippery. I shall not apply any actual coating like Plastidip or varnish because it is an advantage for me that there is no coating finish to worry about. The as-bought surface is probably as it comes out of the mould and it has a matt, velvety feel that is excellent.

Thank you, very helpful. I'll post pics when I have finished.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Mike - one thing to bear in mind is the material the frame is made from. If its ABS or PVC (which I suspect is the case) do inspect it throughly after any fork hits. These plastics are strong and can take abuse but can also catastrophically fail. Solid impacts can create cracks - shoot safe.

Water paper is definitely the way to go (keep it damp/wet at all times). Just start fairly course (say 200) and work your way up till you get the finish you want. But it should sand well.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It's up to you, I do not presume how you would value or might want to work it and that is why we keep things open ended and try to help by offerring constructive suggestions. No one here would judge another for their choice of frames. A potato peeler shoots just as well as a fancy frame. One of the attractions of this sport is that it is accessible to everyone young and old from all walks of life. And eventually we end up with a large collection of frames. Hope this mod works out for you.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
All very good advice. My only add is wear something over your mouth and nose... dust mask at least or a respirator if using any high speed machine.

These particles are nasty to inhale.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike - one thing to bear in mind is the material the frame is made from. If its ABS or PVC (which I suspect is the case) do inspect it throughly after any fork hits. These plastics are strong and can take abuse but can also catastrophically fail. Solid impacts can create cracks - shoot safe.

Water paper is definitely the way to go (keep it damp/wet at all times). Just start fairly course (say 200) and work your way up till you get the finish you want. But it should sand well.
Thanks, very good advice, I have been careful not to reduce the fork thickness significantly, and the high brace scallops for finger and thumb help to reduce leverage on the fork. I'll watch out for any impact damage from fork hits.

I have now sanded using up to 1200 grit wet sandpaper and the material is nice to work. I am happy with progress so far, the advice here has been very helpful.

Per advice in a parallel thread, I am aiming to use ammo not bigger than 16mm diameter with this 40mm wide fork gap, and my next project will be a catapult with 50mm fork gap for the larger ammo that I play with.

My Curiously Altoid baby catapult with 24mm fork gap is shooting well with 3.5 gramme, 15-16mm clay balls but this is pushing it a bit, I think, and I may return to 8 or 9.5mm steel balls, just like everyone else . . . :) :)

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All very good advice. My only add is wear something over your mouth and nose... dust mask at least or a respirator if using any high speed machine.

These particles are nasty to inhale.
Thanks, very good advice. I had already hand-sanded up to 150 grit and have now, using wet sandpaper, sanded up to 1200 grit with good results. Dust is nasty, I agree.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
That frame looks like it would fit in the hand well. Would you mind posting a link to the ad you bought it from? Thanks :)
I can no longer find the Ebay UK link for the first one I bought, it was some months ago. The Ebay UK link from which I have just now ordered two more of the same catapult (I hope, it looks the same, and is the same size), is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hunting-Resin-Catapult-Flat-Rubber-Band-Outdoor-Sports-Shooting-Slingshots-HY1/302959014654?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

When you get there, scroll down the page. I hope the link works OK.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's up to you, I do not presume how you would value or might want to work it and that is why we keep things open ended and try to help by offerring constructive suggestions. No one here would judge another for their choice of frames. A potato peeler shoots just as well as a fancy frame. One of the attractions of this sport is that it is accessible to everyone young and old from all walks of life. And eventually we end up with a large collection of frames. Hope this mod works out for you.
Thank you, I am sorry if my comments hit the wrong note, no offence was intended.

As I said, your advice is extremely helpful and I have now wet-sanded up to 1200 grit with good results.

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts