Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

Unfortunately this "wonderful" virus has now reached Switzerland, and although the subject is off-topic in this forum, I feel that you should inform yourselves to be more or less ready when it does eventually make it to your corner of the woods.

This article describes the issue very well:

https://www.ft.com/content/ed3fb63e-41ce-11ea-bdb5-169ba7be433d

The bottom line is that 80% of people only appear to suffer a milder form of flu, and recover without complications. It appears that it is the elderly who have to be particularly careful. Here are some considerations to think about:

- Avoid crowded places: go grocery shopping when there are fewer people about.

- Avoid scratching your mouth, nose, and eyes when out and about i.e. after having touched all kinds of things, and which could transmit the virus from your hands to the body.

- Wash your hands thoroughly and regularly with soap and water (30 seconds minimum each time), possibly with disinfectant (buy this now before everybody starts doing so, it's meanwhile run out in Swiss shops).

- Steer well clear of anyone who looks unwell, is sneezing, coughing, etc.

- The virus apparently manifests its presence inside the body with typical flu symptoms.

- A US Company has apparently developed a vaccine, but this will only be available early next year after testing.

Protective breathing masks (N-95 type) do not appear to be deemed essential for healthy individuals.

NB - See the advice from the World Health Organization (WHO) here: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

In this rather unpredictable general context, you may want to start buying certain non-perishable foods before the stampede sets in and ends up clearing the shelves in the stores: this is what has been observed in Italy, and is to some extent now occurring in Switzerland as well: people are clearly worried. Panic buying is not a good idea, but planning ahead to minimize trips to the food store to avoid crowds once the epidemic develops, definitely is.

A major annual event, the Geneva Motor Show (600,000 visitors) held in March, was cancelled today as part of a decision by the Swiss federal government to ban all public events attended by over 1,000 people to slow down the spread of the Coronavirus (officially known as Covid-19).

Unfortunately, It's no longer a question of if, but when the Coronavirus will spread in the US as well.

Be as informed and prepared as you can be, and stay safe. :hmm:

Happy shooting nevertheless, guys.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Very scary stuff for sure . My bro was at the USA and Canada border in the falls there was a car with people that had gone from China to Canada and was try to get into the USA . My brother said the boarder personal gave the people in the car a 2 way radio and would not let them out of car and shut down a couple crossing lanes . Very serious stuff

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
It is so similar to influenza that my normal saftey protocols are likely still effective in protecting me.

The real issue may be public panic and because so much stuff comes from China so supply lines may be disrupted.

I recal SAR's and while I have real sympathy for those who suffered and lost people I felt safe.

It'd be better if I trust the Chinese government's information.

·
Registered
349 Posts
since it started dec 31st 3.500 ish people died. in 70 days ish. while on the worlds roads ,over 1000 people a day die.(400,000 per year)

people also die of regular flu .estim 56000 a year.

·
Mojave Mo
4,821 Posts
Easier to transmit via contact with another human, longer incubation and transmissible without symptoms before you are actually sick. Then of course you have passed it around. Doesn't live long on a surfaces (like all viruses). A healthy person has MILD flu symptoms. The elderly, the young, and anyone with a compromised immune system will achieve a bad respiratory infection which MAY kill that person. Also. I am not a Doctor but often pretend to be one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
International travel is what has spread, and is spreading the Wuhan-virus rapidly (let's call it by its real name of origin). From what I am reading on this side of the pond, the following issues will fairly soon be of major concern in the US as well:

- The age group above 60 appears to be more seriously affected by the disease, particularly those with existing medical conditions such as high blood pressure and/or diabetes, etc. Our federal government in Bern has issued a special warning to the roughly 1.5 people of this age group concerned in Switzerland. namely with the advice to steer well clear of crowded places, public transport at rush hour, and to consider ordering food online. Shaking hands or hello-kisses are meanwhile a no-no in much of Europe.

The emphasis is on washing your hands with soap regularly, and not touching your face to avoid contamination when you'e out and about. There are still those who play down this virus as just "another flu". They're wrong: Influenza kills roughly 0.1 of those afflicted, whereas the Wuhan virus kills 3.6% of those afflicted (WHO statistics, for what they're worth: China is a major sponsor of the WHO). Bottom line: protect the older folks as well as possible. Younger folks generally recover without complications.

- Hospitals and medical centers are experiencing a shortage of protective equipment, as the public has cleared the shelves when it comes to disinfectant liquid and protective breathing masks. This implies increased exposure of medical staff treating patients with the disease. The question is whether US authorities have taken steps to prevent a similar situation at your hospitals.

- Panic buying appears to be on the increase throughout Europe, as people prepare for the possibility of having to stay at home for longer periods - whether it be as part of quarantine measures, or simply to avoid possible contamination.

- Economic impact: Lufthansa and Swiss have grounded around 50% of all flights, as travel reservations have fallen considerably in a context of collective fear. Businesses are adapting to the health threat with measures such as increasing the space between employees at cafeteria tables, and allowing them to work from home where possible. Multiple product shows and events have been cancelled to avoid high concentrations of people which increase contamination potential.The economic fallout from the Coronavirus crisis, expected to last 4 to 6 months (according to a British newspaper), is starting to look like the 2008 financial crisis, but potentially far worse as both production capacity and consumer demand are down simultaneously around the world. Did I say "perfect storm"? There is not much the central banks will be able to do this time round.

The key issue is to play safe as far as possible, with the objective of avoiding this rather nasty virus until a vaccine hits the market. Once again, while I certainly do not advocate panic buying, it may be a good idea to stock up on a few essential items that could run out when the general public goes into stampede mode wherever you may be located in the US. Your planning should include essential medications that you and your family need on a regular basis, bearing in mind that most of these products are manufactured in China and India: expect supply shortages soon.

Last but not least, there are strong arguments to bring back industrial production for essential items to the US. The same applies to Europe... :hmm:

Stay safe everybody. We'll get through this.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.