Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you just loop around the Ocularis and then pull over the top ? --- or do you run your looped tubes thru one hole in the 12 o'clock position in the Ocularis, use a small item to run thru the tube loop so the tubes can't pull out through the hole and then back over the top. If you run the tubes thru the Oculars as they are the tubes would be pretty wide on top.

This sling is made for both tubes and flats, but I think it is much better suited for flats --- What are you guys doing and how do you attach your elastic to a Ocularis type sling shot ?

wll

4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Ocularis system IMHO is a great system for flats, but tubes throw a small wrench in this system -- Note, I said small wrench :- )

I used a piece of paracord to make a couple of mods to make this Ocularis system very tube friendly.

The first thing I did was run a ~3.5" total length and then folded paracord piece through the Ocularis allowing a looped tube or single tube with a loop to be used in a OTT configuration. This system allows me to use the same tube length for all my slings --- A real plus !

They Ocularis can be reversed and a shorter paracord loop can be run straight through the Ocularis and used as a shoot between the forks method if you like. Using this way your draw length is maybe lengthened just a bit as the tube/attachment point is closer to you. .

This system of using a paracord piece allows for pretty fast elastic change without tools and fast changes between flats and tubes.

Pic below of paracord attachment method:

Above are the heated ends that keep the paracord in place, in my testing it has not moved at all !

Looped paracord going over the top for OTT shooting !

Looped paracord going straight out for Through The Forks shooting if wanted !

There are many positions to mount the paracord, it is all up to you and the way you shoot. For added security the Ocularis steel ball can be put in place if desired.

wll

4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looped Pseudo Tubes in Ocularis System

I took a short looped piece of 1745, ran it through the main center hole then backed it around and next to the tube grooves and out the front. Pic #1 is the looped power tube assembled around Ocularis. Pic #2 shows what it looks like when you slip this assembly in the Ocularis hole (you will need to wet it to slip in, but DON'T shoot when wet as the rubber CAN slip out - this outside contact area for the tubes must be dry) -- you then pull the lose ends tight as this keeps the Ocularis in place. I put BB's in these ends to stop tubes from slipping out (I have not had mine even start to slip out) ! -- Being very careful, I later took BB's out and put cuffs on the ends ) I also put a 3/8" cuff around that tube contact area so it's very tight.

These green tubes are 1636. 1636 length is ~ 4.", 1745 length is ~2." Pic #3 shows the front and #4 and #5 shows you what the complete tube set looks like installed and pulled back. Pic #6 is my BeanFlip resting on my table, looped pseudo tubes attached.

Using this method or some variant of it that you folks can think of allows you now have a looped pseudo system giving you a taper type flat band effect but using tubes. Your velocity will be much faster than just straight tubes and you're pulling force will be much less than using let's say looped 1745.

I used looped 1636 to 1745, but 2040 to 1745 or 1842 should be great. Looped 1842 to 2050 should be a real powerhouse for heavy ammo while 1030 to 1632/1636 should send 1/4" steel out so fast it melts in flight :- )

If some of you try looped pseudos on a Ocularis system please post it here as many of us would like to hear your results.

I will be testing this set up again on Friday and giving it a heavy tryout for durability -- will try to chrono using 3/8" steel -- we will see how she does !

Later folks,

wll

4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very clever . Question . On the paracord gypsy tab version , which side of the sling shot do you draw back ? Seems you can do it either side due to the same force on the plug . Allowing the cord to go over the top would give you a bit more active band length .
The best is the OTT method. Pulling straight through it must be very secure so the cord does not slip out and the tubes hit you in the face ;- )

The OTT method is the best IMHO, Remember the Cord can be a bit longer also !

wll

4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Testing my Beanflip Using 1636 to 1745 Pseudo Tubes vs 18x12x1mm Thick Piaoyu Gold Flats.

Shooting 3/8" steel inside my shipping area on this ~51° Friday morning (It's 30° outside and a bit windy). We will see how these two slings compare at this relatively cold temperature --- at least there is no wind :- )

Three shot average was 211fps for the Pseudo tubes and 246fps for the Gold flats.

Well as you can see the velocities were not even close !! --- The 1636 to 1745 Pseudo tubes are good bit easier to pull back at the great, great expense of being much, much slower and a PITA to make.

Piaoyu 18x12x1mm Gold flats are a bit harder to pull but are so much faster I will not use this particular pseudo tube set up again --- I was very disappointed in this particular pseudo tube set up.

Man alive sometimes the best laid plans turn to pure c#@p, but at least I now know. If I would have gotten good results I would keep up with the testing but unless someone else does something that performs well, I'm going to halt this experiment.

Until next time,

wll

· Registered
568 Posts
I'm going to try that out, looks nice and simple --- and I like nice and simple :- )

wll
Yeah it is simple and that was my reasoning as well.

I will say that I'm using the Barnett plastic ammo instead of a true ball bearing. I find the plastic gives a bit more grip. Not that it matters if you're using the correct size ball bearing and forcing it deep enough into the Ocularis plug. I use rubbing alcohol and a #2 pencil, easer side down, to force them in good and snug. Of course, let the alcohol evaporate away prior to testing the bands.

Maybe you should test some of those cocktail tube sets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts