Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering?
What would be a good test for yourself to take to know if you got a shot in a tournament.

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
What I learned from shooting Rifle and Pistol competitions is the best shooter doesn't always win. It's the good shooter that can handle the pressure best is who wins. I've shot with guys that in practice could shoot almost perfect scores. But could never place in the top ten in matches. If you're a decent shot and pressure doesn't bother you go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Wise words given to me...

You will never be ready so do not loose out on the fun by waiting until you are ready.

Just go and have fun. There is so much to gain at a tournament outside of shooting well. You get to spend time with like minded people who are happy to discuss slingshots all day.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have limited tournament experience,but I don't think you should wait until you think you are good enough to have a shot at winning. Go for the experience of meeting folks that have the same interests as you. You will meet some great people and gain experience shooting in front of others. You never know you might surprise yourself.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The smallest metal drop-down targets placed at 10 yards at the Slingshot World Cup in Italy last year had a 4 cm (1.5 inch) diameter. Drawing circles of this size on sections of corrugated cardboard is a good way to practice.

That is ideally what to work on, but as bigdh 2000 says, attending tournaments also means meeting other slingshot enthusiasts, sharing knowledge and experience, and seeing many different slingshots and shooting styles i.e. it's definitely a learning experience in so many ways.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
My target now and I only use one of late is 2 inch wide peace of hdpe like the sound it Makes when you hit it . I purposely put it near the door in a spot that even if it rains I can take a few shots not to mention it's in a part of the yard no Neighbors can see what I'm doing .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,494 Posts
All of these replies are excellent advice Putting everything thing in perspective FOR ME, I feel I’m shooting well enough to compete now. I take everything into consideration, I’m 67, my eyesight is not what it used to be, and my mental competitiveness has never been the greatest. They call it fishing, not catching‍♂ and it’s called competing not winning. Just like bigdh2000 says, go enjoy yourself, you will have a great time. I would go to every tournament I could, but life’s responsibilities has changed that. The three tournaments I had the pleasure of attending are some of the best times I’ve ever had. I think I came in last twice, and second to last the third time. I know I at least tied for first having the best time ever

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm planning to get to one if the stars line up correctly there always seems to be something I have to do that gets in the way of me going.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Let me tell you a little story about someone on this forum.

About two years ago, this guy named Ray R. (not to be confused with Rayshot :D :D ) showed up to the Southeast Slingshot Tournament. He was nervous around all us "big shots" as he told me while we were shooting together on the practice range. He did reasonably well and went home...

Last year he scored better on the paper targets at SEST than the winner of the tournament and he did it in front of a packed house. A few months back, he placed in the top ten at East Coast Slingshot Tournament. Best part? He is still the same easy going guy that was a ton of fun to joke around with.

Just go. Don't hold back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts